Sunday, January 18, 2009

painting by Regina LafayMy friend T killed herself yesterday.
While I was pissing and moaning about my husband being a big baby and what a hardship it was to take care of him, T killed herself. She leaves behind a 15 year old daughter. T was my friend and as close as she would allow me to be. She struggled with this disease of alcoholism as well as depression. I met T when I was just a few months in. She had relapsed after a long period of sobriety. Another friend who I gave rides to asked if we could bring her with us to meetings. I did and she was drunk. She kept saying..."God bless ya!" to me over and over again. She ended up being hospitalized and then came back and got sober. She didn't remember the rides but we ended up sitting next to each other at our morning meeting..6 days a week and she became a friend. Someone to joke with, someone to share stories with, someone to identify with. Someone to try to help. As we do in the halls. She had trouble reaching out to women but she tried. It was hard for her to pick up the phone but she did on rare occasions and it was a blessing to talk to her. She had a sponser this time. A good one. I gave her my "little red book". She wouldn't come to night meetings and did alot of sheet therapy. But she stayed sober. And then she relapsed. And then she stayed sober. She kept coming is my point. But she couldnt' get beyond the depression to work a program. Could not pray, could not do steps..but she kept trying. Our morning meeting is a round robin and the topic is What's Good About Today. T did not share personal stories at the meeting. But she shared how she felt.
What's Good About Today? I'm on automatic pilot and the one hour I am here I feel safe.
What's Good About Today? I feel homocidal and suicidal so I will pass.
What's Good About Today? Nothing.
What's Good About Today? I'm grateful I'm not the only one who feels this way.
But she would talk one on one and I was privelged and blessed to listen.
I don't know how we are going to do this meeting tomorrow. I have to chair. I am devastated. I think I am going to get flowers and put them on her chair. Is that weird? Her boyfriend is also a member of our morning meeting. They both know they should not be together..no relationships in the first year you know. Nothing good is going to come out of this for him. He is exactly like her. They were two peas in a pod. Noone can find him or reach him. I went to a meeting tonight that I have never gone to. I had told a newcomer I would take her there and when she didn't call thought I should show up, just in case. She did show up. We gave her a Big Book. At the end of a meeting another member of the morning group who happend to be there asked me if anyone had seen or heard from G. I thought he meant he's gone back out...and then this poor fellow looked devastated. "you don't know", he said. So he had to be the one to tell me. A call had come in just as the meeting started reminding me to turn off my phone so I didn't take it. It was the call. I'm glad I got the news in person. I called the woman back and she gave me what little details there were. We agreed to meet at another meeting and there were a few of us there. It was good to share our sorrow. But then the speakers started and I couldn't hear them. And I couldn't sit there. I stayed as long as I could but then I got up and left. I never leave meetings early. I think its rude. (unless its an emergency of course or work or whatever). And we're all worried about G.
T was a wonderful, funny, sweet (oh how she would hate to hear me say that), caring woman. She was a good mother. She told the truth. She was earnest. Please pray that she has found peace. And for her daughter and G, that they survive.

15 comments:

Judith said...

Oh, Kathy, this is such terrible news. I am so sorry and saddened. It is so terrible when the pain becomes so overpowering that death seems the easier, softer way.

My thoughts and hugs go to you and your group. And Terry's daughter. Bless you all.

NewLifeDesigns said...

So sorry to hear about your friend, there really aren't any words that will help the pain. Just know you are loved, and are in our prayers, as well as your friend. We've lost many friends in this program, and it would always bring me right back to our primary purpose, and intense gratitude. May God bless and keep you. >Big Hug< Pam

RipGurl said...

I am so sorry about your loss. The last blog I read about suicide sent me into a tailspin and searching. Searching for peace.

I hope you can find peace at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself -- I'm sure this has been very traumatic for everyone who knew Terry and the suicide of friends or even strangers is hard to process.

Love & hugs

Mary

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I'm so sorry that you are feeling the loss of a friend.

It's so hard to see the disease take over and leave a person with no other choice.

Thank God today we have the decision and the strength to move beyond that choice.

Thank God I lived through my many suicide attempts. You don't realize how self-centered your view is until someone else shows you and I had no Power to deal with that until I found a God that did show up in my life.

Prayers are going out to you, to the community surrounding Terry and to Greg.

indistinct said...

I'm sorry for your loss Kathy. My heart goes out to that 15 year old daughter.

Prayers and Hugs

Molls said...

I'm so sorry KL. I'm glad you have people around you to talk with. I absolutely think you should put flowers on her chair.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Terry.
Love, Molls

molly said...

so sad... this must be so very hard for everyone who knew her. can't imagine.

Anybeth said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. It's horrible to see depression and alcholism work together to destroy a person.
My friend is (hopefully) checking herself into rehab soon, and we're all hoping the depression she suffers from will be addressed there also. Otherwise she won't stand a chance.

Shadow said...

i'm terribly sorry for your loss. you're in my prayers. as is her daughter. hang in there.

Wait. What? said...

How very tragic. I send my condolences to you and her loved ones.

Unknown said...

Hey Kathy, I am sorry for your loss this is difficult, and made more traumatic by the suicide. My heart goes to you, the group and her daughter. All I can say is suit up, show up and share from your heart. Step one is where I would start. The flowers are a beautiful start.

Love to you and email me if you need to talk.

G

Banana Girl said...

K: I am so deeply saddened for you and moved by your words. This happened to me too, but not to the degree of friendship that you had. The impact will be around for a while. Let it. Remember too, that this program is about principles, not personalities. Her example will be remembered for the right thing, her struggle and how much we all take for granted when we let ourselves. For some, as it says on page 60, they are beyond human aid. Do not beat yourself up over this. This is nothing over which you had control. Stay with the herd, in the middle and safe. We are all here for you in this time of immense sorrow and suffering and it will pass. Love you and hugs. J.

Mary Christine said...

Prayers for you and all those who are left to deal with everything that a suicide leaves behind.

steveroni said...

Peace is there/here for you, Kathy. I, too, have found it over and over. We are sorry for all you must now endure--thank God for the love and support of your friends.

...and sobriety.