Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Choices

I have choices today that I never had before. Choices I did not have when I was drinking. Choices because of the program of Alcoholics Annonymous. G came to the meeting today. A huge relief..he has choices today too. And he chose life. We are blessed. And our prayers were answered.

I have been praying FOR T. I was reminded to pray TO T. I have been praying for her to find peace and by praying to her, telling her I love her, telling her there is peace, telling her it is okay will help her to continue on her journey.

What a man thinks of himself, that is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate.
--Henry David Thoreau
Let us think of ourselves as made of dust, and allow us to be as proud of it as if it were true. For dust is everywhere. We see it in solemn rooms streaked by sun, dancing like fine angels in a cathedral light. It is the stuff of life. And it drifts down on fancy tables where the richest people eat. It cannot be denied a place. And it returns time and time again like the seasons. It is one of the wonders of the world. And when no one sees or cares, it finds a secret corner in which to keep a solitary peace. It intends no harm. We find it at home on old leather books, the ones that preserve our noblest thoughts. And from where we stand, it seems that even the stars are made of it.

When we feel low, unworthy, or useless, let's remember that these feelings are only a small but important part of us, that even great things are made of small parts and that we, as whole beings, are always greater than the sum of these parts.


Today's Gift. Copyright 1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.

10 comments:

steveroni said...

So I hear you, Kathy-L..I pray FOR Greg (How great that he is in the right rooms!) and TO Terry. that makes lots of sense to me. Often I pray TO relatives, friends, who have passed into that awesome life beyond (here).

I even depend on some for help. My mother, a wonderful pianist, died 15 years ago. She and I worked together for years in the bars, entertaining, etc. So whenever I feel in trouble--musically--I pray TO her, asking for help in a field she knew so well.

Terry KNEW how to stay sober, she just couldn't stay that way herself. So if I were in trouble, like "stinking thinking", I'd feel confident asking her help. Likely it would be available IMMEDIATELY!

Such has been my experience!

Peace...and Love, from
Steve E.

Judith said...

{{{{{Kathy}}}}}

BTW, haddock, couscous and peas sounds like a rather nice dinner to me. Haddock is sooooo Massachusetts, lol.

Syd said...

I hope that Terry finds peace of mind.

Fireman John said...

good reminder that you have choices today; no longer is the booze making choices for you

RipGurl said...

This moment must be so bittersweet for you. Endings and beginnings all twisted up into one. Just like life, isn't it.

I will continue to pray for you.

Wait. What? said...

I like that on wednesday I was reminded about making my own choices today - thank you.

Banana Girl said...

Thank you for sharing this immense emotional journey of now. This is not easy. I will pray for all of you she left behind to deal with the mystery of suicide, death and the attendant pain. As C.S. Lewis wrote so brilliantly "I never new grief felt so much like fear." Your choices spoken reveal that your fear is being examined and dealt with as God would have you do. This really is a marvelous program, isn't it. Have a serene day. LU J.

Fireman John said...

i choose you as 1 of my 10 for a lemonade award, excellence in recovery blogs.

mile191 said...

what a beautiful post. thanks for sharing your feelings. such a strength in your words.

Fishstyx said...

Praying for you