Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sermon on The Mount...The Reality Show


I got this little flyer from a member of an online group that there was to be a seminar on the book Sermon on the Mount at The Wilson House in March. This was Bill W.'s childhood home in Vermont and serves as a retreat center now...it's about 3 hours from my home. So I asked a few other women if they were interested. Passed out the flyer..and now we have 8 going. And when someone hears about it they want to go. The seminar is booked up and just taking waiting lists...so we do have a ninth on that. And so far it looks like we're all staying in one small cabin across the street. 8 women of a certain age trying to get ready at the same time and out the door by 8:30 am every morning. The cabin sleeps 4...and we figured a few air mattresses on the floor. Of course the proprietors may not be so accomodating. Most of the women don't care and are more concerned about the cost than comfort..so they feel the more the merrier or should I say, cheaper. And then a few women are getting uncomfortable with the idea...of being jammed in and having their morning rituals of putting themselves together disturbed...but they don't want to be the ones to raise the price for everyone else by getting another room. Some have not paid for their registration yet...and when push comes to shove....so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds....And all of us in a room together should be interesting. You should be there when we go for tea...sometimes everyone is speaking at the same time...its amazing...

Me, I loved the book and am looking forward to a directed reading of it. I am the sort that would be happy in a room alone or amongst many. Each would be a different experience. All I know is my "retreat" calender is filling. And I've got to watch myself..because I'd go to them all if I could.

And then..my ephiphany yesterday...and not related to Sermon on the Mount at all...we were talking about the show Intervention and discussing the use of hand sanitizer, mouthwash etc. Somehow we got on the topic of cold medications...I talked about how Alka Seltzer Cold Plus used to be my secret elixar. I could take that and Aala!, the hangover was gone and I could tolerate the day..until I drank again. Then they took it off the shelves and replaced the secret ingredient and it stopped working. Then the only thing that seemed to work for me was Nyquil...so I'd take a dose in the morning...so I could put myself together for the day...and as I was sharing this with my friends I stopped. Because I always thought I was not a morning drinker...but if I was downing a dose or 2 of Nyquil..to get myself going in the morning, what exactly is that? I NEVER made the connection before. And my sponser sat across from me nodding her head knowingly.

Speaking of which...I posted a few back about All My Sponsers...and I talked a little about this to my "real" sponser. How I'm having trouble reconciling this. How I can't really talk to by BBSS sponser as I can to her..and is it okay?...and all this stuff. And of course she says, why do we have to define these relationships...is the BBSS working for you? Yes...then everything is as it should be. Cherish each relationship for what it is..and what it brings..and what you bring to it....

3 comments:

molly said...

for a while i prouded myself on NEVER taking the morning drink. xanax wasn't alcohol so that didn't count right?! the thing is that SOMETHING had to be taken and that can't ever be a good indicator of a healthy relationship with alcohol. i don't miss the daily xanax and pepto for sure!!

gosh traveling with a bunch of people huh?! do not eat any kashi fiber bars while traveling with others k? i'm JESS SAYIN.

Wait. What? said...

That retreat sounds like a wonderful expierence - good for you!

Judith said...

When I had quit drinking for 2 years (but not gone to AA and had not admitted I was an alcoholic, just was "taking a break" from alcohol, I relapsed when I took Nyquil. Bad juju.