Sunday, January 25, 2009

For Terry



Do you ever do this? Durning the course of the day, write posts in your head? Great posts...comtemplative posts. I had one yesterday..something about the nature of our existance...but the day got away. Never had an opportunity to put fingers to keyboard. It was a full day..our anniversary meeting at my home group, a funeral for a friend's mother, telephone call from a friend needing help filling in the FAFSA, tracking down a member of our group that unexpectedly didn't show up at our anniversary meeting (we've gotten very tight in that regard), coffee with a friend, meditation meeting, dinner with husband and friends. At one point, I thought to myself...this is what it means to be fully engaged. With people, places, and things. This is it. And it is good. I am safe.

Anyway, this morning I was thinking about my doctor. I am due for a physical, overdue actually, and I tried to schedule an appointment. Couldn't get one until April but that's okay. I won't see anyone but her and I hope she sticks around. She had a baby last year so has cut back. I'm happy for her. She's the first doctor I've ever been honest with. I remember our first visit...it was right after my mom's, I don't know what to call it, collapse, disintegration, deterioration, jackpot, illness, no words seem right. Well, she came in, introduced herself, went through a few obligatory questions from the "chart" and then asked me how I was. I burst into tears. I explained a bit about what was going on and she asked if she thought I might be depressed. And asked me questions. She suggested a therapist which I was resistant to and prescribed an antidepressant. It worked. Didn't change anything but I was able to keep it together to function and speak in complete sentences without falliing apart. She was very nurturing and kind. We talked a little about my drinking..of course I was not totally honest with her at that time...but I was more honest. Through the course of the years...she encouraged therapy....which I did not partake...continued to ask me about my drinking....which "we" watched, and did the rest of the phsical stuff. When I finally had a physical after going sober, I was able to tell her...the first time I'd ever been honest with a doctor, I think it had only been a month or so. I told her I was going to AA...she was encouraging and supportive. I am looking forward to April when I can tell her I'm still sober, I have used her suggestion of therapy and have gone off the antidepressants...finally.

Did that the wrong way. I'm such a bad pill taker. When I was in therapy, we talked about going off. I wasn't having any problems concerning the medication and if it wasn't broke, why fix it especially in early sobriety. My therapist referred me to a psychopharmacologist for an evaluation and she actually put me on another medication. And we discovered a B12 deficiency. That was about 4 months ago and as the pills ran out and I kept procrastinating my call to get an appointment for the refill...I stopped taking them. I guess its supposed to be a gradual process. But I really didnt' feel much different. Maybe a little more emotional but heck some really emotional things have happened around me lately. I'm crying a bit more but appropriately. So I don't know...I have an appointment next week finally...

Bottom line...I'm grateful that I can be honest with my doctors and not have the hidden secret that I'm pounding away at 1-2 bottles of wine a night. A

9 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

great post Kathy, the bottom line is that if it's working then you are doing something right. Your continued improvement speaks volumes, and to communicates in no uncertain terms the value of the approach you are taking.
More of what works. Less of what doesn't.
I have had similar experiences with sponsees who have come off medication they've been on for ! years and all sorts of drug cocktails only to find they feel ! fine. I don't think it's an approach that one should take unless under adequate supervision. The results speak for themselves. Commonsense means that if I were to encounter somebody who had anything less than a beneficial reaction to a reduction in dose, eventually coming off entirely, I would re-evaluate their approach in respect of that person. But up to now I have not had that experience.

basically I'm just glad that that you're making such great progress :) Especially considering all the things that occur in your highly eventful life! Keep on keeping on :)

Kathy Lynne said...

I should also add that..I was fearful of going off my antidepressants in early sobriety and discussed this with my therapist. Did not want to do anything to jeopordize that. And I did have a day..when I had a Perfect Storm of PMS, 3 days without medication and sobriety that put me over the edge..screaming and crying at the blockheaded receptionist (oops, another one for the list:) that I needed a refill so please let me speak to the doctor...NOW.

I am grateful that it looks like my fear was unfounded or maybe my foundation built my the 12 steps of AA helped strengthen it.

J-Online said...

thanks for such an honest post. I realize not everyone agrees with taking antidepressents. I know for me, my life depends on the anitdepressents just as much as my working of the program depends on my sobriety. Some people would disagree with this. that's ok. Happy Sunday.

Shadow said...

honesty's breathtakingly refreshing...

molly said...

yeah some of my 'best' posts never actually made it to paper (or keyboard should i say).. sounds like you had a very fulfilled day. i find there is not enough time in the days - most days and that is far from what it used to be in early sobriety right?!

i got totally off anti-depressants several months ago and it feels very refreshing and speaks volumes to the progress made. i can't remember a time in my life that i wasn't on something to help me cope. we are freagin miracles right?! hard work but well worth it.

recently i came across something called Brain Lightening (sp?) and it seems like an excellent natural formula to consider. i'm wary about the costs but i haven't seen a formluation like that before in natural options. my desk at work has like 15 bottles of vitamins and i am not consistant although i do think they make a positive difference. and exercise is a MUST for me now.

but i really enjoyed this post. thanks for sharing ms thang. keep on a keepin on.

Annette said...

Honesty with ourselves and others is a sure way to our own freedom. Sounds like you are on your way. Thank you for sharing your journey. I also loved the You Tube video. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

What an amazingly honest and wonderful post, wow! Kathy Lynne I just learn so much from you and thank you so much, keep on keeping on girl.

Great comments too!

Oh and I write great posts in my head and very mediocre ones in my blog. LOL

Judith said...

I love being able to be honest to my doctor too. In fact, I've got an annual physical this week... I've actually had one every year since I've been sober now. And she is so great about being able to talk about the full scope of what I've done to myself.

Syd said...

I've read that 50% of alcoholics are bi-polar or depressed. I think that if medication is prescribed for depression then it's good to take it. My mother nearly died from severe depression. I've seen how terrible mental illness is.