Sunday, January 25, 2009

Joy!


What a morning! I attend church where we do our centering prayer sits. The woman who facilitates the sits knew something was going on with me through messages I was receiving on facebook so she asked if I was okay on Thursday during our sit. I told her what had happened and she asked what color I thought of when thinking of my friend. I said blue and told her about the yellow rose for friendship I had placed on her chair during our meeting. (We broke our annonymity with her awhile ago when we requested to use the church for our 11th Step meeting). She said she was charged with doing the flowers for the altar that Sunday and she would use those colors and that she and I would know who they were for. Lovely. So I went to the service and they were there. Blue Hydrangeas with yellow roses. She also had inserted Terry's name in the intentional prayers. Lovely again. And they ended the service with Amazing Grace. My cup runneth over in gratitude.

When I left I realized I had time to attend the second service at the church I have been attending on a more regular basis and where many of my friends go. I thought...maybe this is a little over the top, but I went anyway. It was a good service, its a nontraditional church so there's singing, clapping and a few souls choose to dance...that will not be me:) They also do meditation and I enjoyed the silence in appreciation of the morning. At the end a woman approached me and began to say...I don't even remember, because I suddenly realized she was an old friend I have not seen in at least 15 years or so. We worked together as waitresses back in the day and she had moved to Georgia to attend school. We corresponded for awhile but you know how that goes....it tapered off and I lost track. Well, she's up here now and attended this church for the first time..and boom! We caught up and agreed to have tea together..I invited her to my book group which is primarily comprised of friendships from this same resteraunt we all worked at. We are going to suprise the other girls. I happend to go the place we worked last night for dessert after dinner with friends and I had been reflecting on what it had been like and people we had worked with. Not her in particular just in general. It had been a war zone when we worked there and maybe that's why the friendships have been so lasting. She said she had driven by my old home not three days ago and wondered where I was these days. Can you imagine? You probably can.

I just feel incredibly blessed right now. I have lost a friend but have been renewed with another. Amazing Grace.

8 comments:

Banana Girl said...

It took this program to remind me that I never lost the real friends despite my attempts to leave them behind. They will always return and you are just now letting the passing of your dear friend turn into the revelation of a deeper truth, that survival is worth it. All of these people are in your life for a reason and it is good. God bless you today and always. God is really guiding you right now. Your words and actions speak volumes. Thank you for sharing all of this. I am learning so much from you. J.

Judith said...

Wow! What a fantastic day. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person either.

Unknown said...

Wow, I get so much from you and from the comment of Banana Girl I would agree that I learn so much from you and so much compassion comes through in your writing. Thank you!

RipGurl said...

Wow Kathy! It's amazing how life can take twists and turns. I am so glad you are posting this so close to your last post. It helps me to remember that a new day can bring new promises.

I have been depressed all day and can't pull myself out. Your blog reached out to me so I can look for tomorrow's joy.

Thank you!
Chris

Shadow said...

it's life amazing sometimes...

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I LOVE it when stuff like that happens, that a series of events in your life lead you to make a decision that seems odd to you (staying for the second service) but that puts you in the right place at the right time. A friend found you when she was seeking a connection, and you got to be there and were blessed beyond measure too!

YAY God!

One Prayer Girl said...

I went back in your posts to understand about the friend you lost. My prayers are being said for her soul, for her daughter, for G, for you, for all who feel this loss.

A loss - and now the renewing of a lost relationship for you.

Life is funny, sad, and wonderful.

YOUR LETTER IS "B"!
Have fun!

J-Online said...

God works in amazing ways doesn't he? How wonderful to have your friend back in your life. Hugs, jenn