Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Goodbye to Grace

Part of the method of Centering Prayer, which I try to practice twice a day, is to utilize a sacred word to signify your intention to be open to the presence of God. The word itself has no meaning, but merely something you return to (ever so gently) when you become aware of the inevitable thoughts and feelings that you become engaged in during the silent prayer.
The purpose of Centering Prayer is not to empty your head of thought but merely to allow them to pass by...Thomas Keating says they are like the boats on the river...we want to focus on the river. So anyway, as you may guess, my sacred word for the last year has been Grace. Again, the word in relation to the prayer has no meaning but I liked the word and what it means and I have been comfortable with it.
Suddenly as I was praying (meditating) yesterday morning or maybe it was the day before, the word Arise came to me. You cannot change your sacred word in the middle of your prayer..as that would signify engaging in thought...so I went back to my sacred word, Grace, and continued on. Then throughout the day yesterday and then again this morning the word Arise kept appearing to me. In a reading, in a song, in a thought. So, after a year, I can only assume that I was meant to change my sacred word to Arise. I remember when we were at the retreat back in March and this woman asked the faciltators..what if your sacred word wants you to dance? To be honest, I thought it was a ridiculous question and mocked her throughout the year. Not very graceful. But I suppose it could be and if that is what is speaking to her then why not? Not sure if we are to share our sacred word. I don't think it is secret or anything but I felt the need to write about it because it just seemed so apparent that I was being spoken to. Which can be a bit disconcerting. It's amazing the things that are appearing in my life these days and I am so very grateful for it all.
So Arise...ever so gently.

7 comments:

Judith said...

I think I should make my sacred word "boogie" just to crack you up. Come to think, my son would probably enjoy that too. My husband might call the white coats.

Arise is an interesting one. It will be cool to see how it manifests in your life.

Shadow said...

arise. suitable, don't you think? i do.

Syd said...

I like arise. It evokes a lot of thoughts from me: dawn, after sleep, newness, life after death....

steveroni said...

This is one blog I read two times this afternoon, Kathy Lynne.

Not because I didn't understand it, but because it was so beautiful. Talking about Centering Prayer, Meditation (Twice a day, and more) Secret Word, Retreat, Prayer, Grace, Arise.

These all bring me closer to God. I have a special (not secret) word "Flex"--for "Flexible"--which name I gave to my Guardian Angel. But that word would get me to thinking, rather then meditating.

So, with your permission (or not?!) I'm going to use the word "Arise", because I like it, it is so far a non-thinking word for me, and I feel it's been sent to me through this blog. Thank you so VERY much!

So Peace, to you K-Lynne, and love.
So Arise...ever so gently.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Kathy, You have motivated me!

Unknown said...

I love Centering Prayer and have attended a couple of retreats to focus on such, I love the word Arise...it is so amazing. My word for the past year has been peace...

I like boogie too! LOL

Hope said...

I appreciate being able to read of others experience with centering prayer. I keep trying to incorporate it, it's vey much three steps forward and two back for me. I do it for a while and then I quit. I usually quit because it puts me smack dab in the middle of life and I find that scary some days.
My sacred word is rest.
There is a song by Karen Money that starts with the word arise. It is very beautiful if you get a chance to listen to it.