Thursday, January 15, 2009

All My Sponsers


Thankfully I have a sponser that says....if I stayed sober today then I'm doing "the program" right. I was always very concerned about whether or not I was doing the program right. I'm getting over that... a little at a time. Part of MY program is that I now officially have 3 sponsers.
My "real" sponser is who I started with. She had me call her every day at the same time at the beginning and then we started to meeting once a week and I called her as needed. She did not LEAD me through the steps. I was a good pupil. I brought the steps to her. I'd say, I think this is where I am. I would talk about what I was doing, what I was thinking, what was bothering me...and she would gently guide me in the right direction. She's not a Big Book thumper but she lives the prinicples of AA. All I need to do is here what she says and I know she is right. She heard my fifth step and yes, I had a spiritual experience. She is the one I trust...she is the one whose opinion matters to me. She is the one who really knows me. She is also very busy.
I asked another woman to sponser me last summer at one point when my "real" sponser wasn't available. I consulted both of them and I NEVER played one against the other. My "backup" sponser is a woman who has 42 years of sobriety. In fact my real sponser had thought of asking her when her sponser passed away. I thought when I asked her she would invite me to her home and we would do the steps....and I'd have her undivided attention. Guess what? Didn't happen. What did happen was that I called her sporadically...and she would call me and read quotes from the Big Book or a daily reading. She holds a Step meeting in her home and I go to that. And mostly, she tells me either God is everything or He is nothing. She is my backup sponser...but she is more of a spiritual advisor. I know people who use her God as their Higher Power until they find one of their own.

Recently I started a Big Book Step Study. They require that you use one of "them"..someone they say has been through the process, as a sponser in order to participate in their meeting. My "real" sponser had suggested one of these meetings to me at the beginning which I turned down because I didn't want another sponser. But then I wanted a bit more from the steps. I was worried I hadn't done them "right". Now I understand that I did, but honestly had really just skimmed the surface. When I introduced myself at the first meeting I attended..I said..I have done the steps as outlined in the Big Book, with the help of a sponser, I am making amends and I try to practice Steps 10, 11, and 12 on a daily basis but I did not do it according to the tenets of this group so I will pass according to group conscious. When they introduce themselves they all say this except instead of passing they say they have been through the "process". If you haven't you say where you are in the process..I'm so and so and I'm reading. I'm so and so and I'm writing. Or you just pass. The tenet is that you have done so with a "Step Study" sponser. I don't know why I felt the need to let them know I had done the steps but I did. Maybe that will be revealed. I have a "Step Study" sponser. She is one of my Stepsisters. And I discussed it with my "real" sponser first.

I'm not completely comfortable with my Step Study sponser. I guess because I am just getting to know her and her me. Though we've been in the same meeting and I have always loved what she shares. I am writing out my fourth step..listing the people, places and prinicples that have brought up resentment, anger, fear, sadness, etc. It is MUCH more thorough. I don't know if the kid whose name I don't remember who pinched me in kindergarten and caused me to have to sit in the green chair because I retaliated in some way I don't remember is going to help me stay sober but she says if I think of it, write it down. So I did. Do I still have a "resentment" towards him. Not really, which is why I didn't put it down the first time, but it bothered me when I was 5. As I do this I do what I should not do and think about my fifth step. I'd rather do this with my "real" sponser. But I know I probably should do it with my "step study" sponser. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I talk to my step study sponser about the process but not really about my life. I talk to my real sponser about my life and I talk to my backup sponser about what I learned today because that is the question she always asks me. Of course this all overlaps....and it is working for me. Except for maybe when I get to my fifth step.

I do not play one sponser against the other. I do not keep asking until I hear the answer I want. I use each sponser for the strengths that they have...I hate that I USE them. Doesn't sound right but that is what it is.

Sounds like something I need to talk to my sponser about.

5 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

I don't think it really matters what you are doing, as long as it is working for you. More of what works, what doesn't. Having said that it does sound rather bewildering all these people, but that's just me. Personally I I would find it a bit confusing having three people to talk to. Not for any other reason than it actually rather difficult to get to know one other person so it takes time and for me to do that with three people would require quite a lot of time I think. Which I don't really have. At the moment I do not have an official sponsor as such, but I am very good at finding people who have expertise of the problem areas that I need to address. So for instance if I have a study query I will go find people who have been very successful students and asked them. What I mean is I do it more of a consultation basis. So I just go to whoever happens to know about this subject I am curious about. And I do phone my old sponsor if there is a query I think she will know something about, but I don't feel I need to call her every day or maintain regular contact with her. I think it's because I know quite a lot of people so I always have the feeling that there is somebody I can ask if I am stuck. I only ever had one proper sponsor really. And I only ever went to AA meetings not were? Franchise groups. I find that groups who enthuse about a method that our setup on an ad hoc basis, without necessarily long-term experience of that particular method, can sometimes be full of people who roughly know that method, but can lack of maturity to apply that mattered skilfully. So even though you have access to good information it May not be delivered in a very good way, and you may end up missing the benefit. But that's just something I have discovered over here. It may not be the same way you are. Ultimately the test days is it benefiting you? If the answer is yes that's a good thing. If it makes you more comfortable, provides solutions, gives you more peace of mind, makes you feel more supported, then it is probably a good thing. If it encourages fearful dependence than I might question its usefulness. But I was so Uncomfortable in the first five years of my recovery that I'm not sure I would have really known which was the best thing. I just did it all on faith really. I am sure that if you ask your higher power to guide you and do the footwork the right answers will be revealed. And of course speak to your sponsor!

Shadow said...

hey! you are doing things your way. and they are working for you. after all, you're sober, found a level of peace and spirituality and you feel good about it all. so why worry about the way you're doing it....

steveroni said...

Well, since it's "all about me", I'll tell you, "I do not tell my sponsor every thought, unless that thought is one which bothers me."

How do I know if it 'bothers me'?

When I dwell on it.

(I could never have three sponsors. Why I'm lucky to have ONE!) So, I'll listen to people like SHADOW, and Kathy Lynne and Irish-girl on the pros and cons.

Syd said...

I don't think that I would do well with three sponsors. It's good to have one though. And he is a good one.

molly said...

here are your interview questions!!

You can change careers tomorrow and are guaranteed it will give you the right amount of money to keep you at your current lifestyle. It can be any job you want – what do you choose?

Three people who have affected you the most are:

Choose one existing book or movie title that defines your life:

If you could magically change one thing about your physical appearance, it would be

If you were stranded on a desert island, you would want these three people with you:

have fun! the rules are posted on my site if you want to include that as well :)