Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Leap

Fr. Thomas Keating will be facilitating a Centering Prayer Retreat in March in NY. None of my CP friends can go. There's one other person I could ask but I'm not. I am going to go alone. Big Step for me but one I am now relishing. According to Google maps its about a 4 hour and 22 minute drive from me. That means lots of good listening. I could save up the Entering the Castle CDs I'm listening to. (by Carolyn Myss) My husband thinks its weird. But I think its a wonderful opportunity. No more expensive than a month of eating out. I can skip that, easily. So I will be cooking this month and next...and gearing up for the experience. In fact shouldn't a retreat be just that a retreat from what you know...so doesn't going going in a group sort of defeat the purpose? So, after much contemplation (pun totally intended), I am going to do this thing. I've filled out the forms and now I just have to send in my check.....can you tell I'm talking myself into this?

The kicker is that I had already made plans to do a seminar at The Wilson House 2 weekends ahead of this one...with a group....on Emmett Fox's, The Sermon on the Mount facilitated by an online group member. Should be interesting to put a face to an email address. We've rented a cabin across the street..and its getting interesting how its all playing out. We'll be flopping air mattresses on the floor but jamming into a 2 room cabin makes the whole thing affordable but potentially there will be 8 women sharing a bathroom which should be interesting...and some of us are more comfortable with that than others. As usual, I am trying to play the middle...keep everyone happy....that's my stuff...I'm glad everyone is going..it will be fun. Pretty much the same group I had over the other night..but if it gets too complicated..I'm going to wish I was doing this one alone too.

11 comments:

Shadow said...

you'll enjoy it. even by yourself. new experiences can be daunting, but you'll never know, until you try them first.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

you retreat junkie!
yeah i empathize. i wanted to go all the time myself when i discovered them. going on your own is cool. ..less chance to get sidetracked by conversation, but hard not to silently take everyone else's inventory!
i found it easy to save money as I had much less of an appetite for the usual ? 'comforts', and buying 'stuff' lost its allure the more i did retreats, so it worked out okay.
anyway. hope you have a GREAT time!

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

You sound like you're in surrender, which is just where God needs you.

I believe you'll have an amazing journey.

It sounds like an absolute blast!

molly said...

for what it's worth - GO and don't look back

Syd said...

I think that I would like to go to a retreat sometime. It sounds like a great calming thing.

J-Online said...

sounds like you have some wonderful events coming up. Enjoy!

Wait. What? said...

How much fun - I have never been to a retreat before - maybe I should give that a go?!

Judith said...

These both sound like excellent experiences for you. There are so many neat things to do in life and they don't even involve booze. Plus, they are even, holy crap, good for us.

Banana Girl said...

You lucky sober girl! Amazing gifts we receive when we surrender, no? I love the fact that you are doing more than one retreat. You are wise to know what you need right now and are taking the trouble to pursue it. And you sound so energized! Love it! J.

Hope said...

Oh, oh, oh!! I just found out yesterday that Fr. Keating is doing a retreat about the same distance from my house as the one you're going to. I can hardly wait!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Kathy,

I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Alcoholism Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com