Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What It Was Like

We had a new person at our meeting this morning. He introduced himself as undecided. I know I spent my life undecided. Well acutally, I had decided. I decided I was not an alcoholic and that I was just like everyone else. I was remembering in my morning group the time around 1981 or 1982 when on my way home from the "disco" Daniel's, at about 2 in the morning or maybe 3, can't remember if they had the extra hour, I smashed my Toyota Corolla into a lamppost on the onramp of the highway. I woke up slumped forward on my steering wheel (this was before airbags), bleeding with some guy peering at me through the drivers side window. A good samaratian. He must have come up on the onramp behind me. When the cop came, he said that he was a friend of mine and they let him take me home. I think I said there was an oil slick and I lost control. They either believed me or more likely because it was a lamppost I hit and not another vehicle they let this guy bring me home,...TO MY APARTMENT WHERE I LIVED ALONE, things were different then. But he really was a good samaratian. I was not assaulted or raped though I certainly was in the position to have been. He just brought me home. We talked for awhile, I may or may not have kissed him, don't remember, and then I passed out. He left a note that I found in the morning with his name and phone number. I did call him but I wouldn't go out with him. I said thank you, gave him a necklace and said sayonara. Don't want to be reminded of THAT, plus he just wasn't cute enough. Ugh!

I often think that had that officer done a field sobriety test and/or arrested me, or if that nice guy had assaulted me, maybe I would have "decided" much earlier in my life that I was an alcoholic. That the kind of drinking I did was not normal. But my journey has been my journey and I am grateful I am where I am today. Grateful to be alive. "We will not regret the past nor will we wish to close the door on it" or something like that. I want to remember what it was like so I can appreciate what it is like now.

8 comments:

Shadow said...

talk about someone watching over you!

Molls said...

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow North shore-er. New to this blogging community but grateful for what I've found. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

So THAT's the criteria: "...plus he just wasn't cute enough. Ugh!"

Anonymous said...

I had no use for "nice guys" when I was doing my pub crawls. If they showed up on time for a date with flowers, I pegged them as a total loser. I must have had a rare moment of clarity when I met hubby, he drove 400 miles to visit me and work on my car. I fell in love with him anyway!

Michael said...

Hi Kathy, oh it sounds like that good samaritan was your soulmate, its inside what counts isnt it.
Oh my drinking history is littered with examples like that where if things had been different I would of got into a lot of trouble and maybe woken up earlier!

Banana Girl said...

You reminded me of all of the careless, stupid things I did drinking and the long line of samaritans who helped me out of the immediate jam and unwittingly aided the continued search for my bottom. Those dear angels sent by the HP who knew that whatever the crisis for that time, that it was not enough yet, well, I owe each of them a prayer today. I better get started. This is an army of angels to pray for. Thank you so much for the reminder.

Syd said...

I'm glad that someone kind was there for you. There are many moments where I wonder how I survived some of the things that I did--generally sober.

Mary Christine said...

Most people really are good. A regular guy is not going to rape a woman when presented with a chance to... only a rapist will do that.