Friday, September 5, 2008

Soccer Mom

You know, God was working in my life before I even knew it. I believe he is everywhere even when we are not aware of his presence. A recent example. I'm a soccer Mom. My son is captain of the soccer team and plays goalie. It will be an exciting year this year and I will attend every game. Last year he was on the bench. It's a long story but our local paper just did a feature article on him about how he became the starting goalie his sophomore because the previous goalie had moved to NC. They were'nt sure how E would handle the position but he did great and helped get the team to the semi finals and received the Rookie of the Year award from the team and honorable mention for the league. To me it was also an example of how some kids don't get a shot at certain positions and can excel if given a chance. Anyway, the next year, guess what happened? The other goalie moved back and the coach gave him the position, and he deserved it, so E sat on the bench. Despite that he hadn't played, his team elected him captain. They respected how he handled the situation and when interviewed by the paper he was poised, confident and graceful.

How is this evidence of God's presence?

Well, last year at this time I was just getting sober and some of you know what that's like. I needed to go to meetings every day. Twice a day. Had he been playing, I would have felt compelled to miss meetings so I could be in the stands to support him. When I was drinking I would sit with the other soccer moms, feeling less than, worried that they might smell alcohol on my breath or clenching my fists till the game was over and I could get home and do a half gainer into a bottle of wine (not mine but I heard Imus use it this morning and it describes me to a tee, LOL). Had I missed meetings, perhaps I would not have been able to stay sober. I don't know but I know the time allowed me to work my program. I never thought that perhaps this was God's way of allowing me the time. I don't think that things happen because we ask for them. We can pray to God to keep us sober and he won't do it for us but perhaps He will provide us a way....and we need to find it.

And my son, well he probably learned more in that year on the bench than he ever would have learned on the field. He's 18 today and I am proud of the young man he has become and I am so grateful that I can be a sober mother to him.

6 comments:

Syd said...

Great story and I believe it is evidence of God's presence. It sounds like your son is a young man with a lot of good things going for him.

Recovery Road London said...

A lovely post, Kathy. I hope your boy has a good season, and you enjoy it and share every (sober) moment of it with him.

GoldenGal said...

Kathy, I love your blog. I am also thrilled to hear that things are working out so well for your son.
Alice

Anonymous said...

WOW! Out of the mouths of babes..(and I mean 'babes' in the sense of early years of sobriety!)

"I don't think that things happen because we ask for them. We can pray to God to keep us sober and he won't do it for us but perhaps He will provide us a way....and we need to find it."

Oh, how I keep learning here! Thank you, thank you.

Shadow said...

it's it great to look back and see the changes. the changes we thought at one time would never happen. well done!!!!

molly said...

neat to look back and see how He was working so intimately in our lives when we thought He was so very very far away.

lovely post kathy