Sunday, September 21, 2008

Let Us Pray

I am so sad. My friend lost her brother to this disease the other day as a result of suicide. She came to our Big Book meeting this morning. We were reading To the Wives. I get a lot out of this chapter and did so today as well. It shows me the progression of my disease...as described in the four types of alcoholics. And it shows me what I was doing to my family. The last person to speak alerted me to the fact that when I read this chapter I think about what my husband should be doing to help me and that he isn't, when really the chapter is about increasing our own spiritual condition. That is what I needed to hear this morning. Bottom line it is telling the wives to do that and bottom line it is telliing them that without that alcoholics cannot recover.

My friend chose to come to this meeting this morning instead of her church in which she is very active. She knew she needed to be around other alcoholics. She shared her loss with us. We shared our ESH with her and each other. We prayed together. Because she shared, she helped all of us. One thing that happens as we recover is that we can forget just how deadly this disease is, particularly when we are "functioning" as I wrote in my previous post today. One guy at the meeting said that he had thought of a drink this morning. The last time he drank he was under a bridge where he lived. He had skipped praying today and felt off but for some reason decided to come to the meeting. He came for help. He was certain that MB was there just for him. Because now he will not drink today. I think MB was there for all of us. And I think her brother was as well. I have no answers but I know he is no longer in pain.

Please keep MB in your hearts as she tries to stay sober during this difficult time.

14 comments:

steveroni said...

I feel very deeply for anyone associated w suicides, and moreso when it's family. I'll blog a story about that in which I was personally involved.

I've seen (well, not witnessed) seven suicides here since I became 'one of us'.

And a 'bridge' guy, also at your meeting? God's really busy! Pray!

Anonymous said...

Stories like this touch the hearts of alcoholics. "There But For the Grace of God Go I.".
That's why I try to maintain my spiritual condition.....to keep in touch with that Grace that I must have to stay sober.
I pray for sober alcoholics, not sober yet alcoholics, suffering alcoholics, and the families of all the above.

Patricia Marie said...

My heart goes out to her.

Shadow said...

that's sad. my heart goes out to mb...

Michael said...

One of my friends died in 2003 as a direct result of drinking thats what made me realise just how deadly this thing is and brought me to AA one year later.
The other friend I call Uncle Buck I take with me now nearly died last year, its a silent deadly disease is alcoholism with the only cure a daily reprieve

Michael said...

I cant see my facebook account here at work but ill send u mine when I get home

Michael said...

I am here again Kathy, I will reply to my tag soon...

Anonymous said...

Saying a prayer for MB. We are also reading "To Wives" at my big book study.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

..Far too many suicides as a result of this illness. i know old timers who stayed sober even when their son shot themselves. its amazing what we can deal with if we rely on the programme of recovery

Syd said...

I'm sorry about MB's brother and that he decided the only way to feel better was to not feel anything anymore. There is a solution and it's there for the asking.

Michael said...

The Day after Judgement day, strangely there is a sense of relief in the air, we all knew something major was inevitable, the bricks not selling, the price of gas...
Anyway now its time to get looking for my next great adventure

johno said...

Prayers are out there x

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

Kathy Lynne,I am just finishing up a grief recover memoir based on these kinds of deaths..I've lost many.Like so many others.
It is never ever easy to hear of another lost to this disease but I will never lose hope for a more sober and compassionate world..this post just remninds me of that comittment and journey -
My heart goes out to you and yours.

J-Online said...

I am really sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your friend.