Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Illusionary Pedestal

Bill W.'s 1960 response to a Chicago Group fortaking his inventory (A letter from a group in Chicago was mailed toBill W. in 1960, taking his inventory and thiswas Bill W's response. Bill was 26 years soberat the time.)

"That you seemed disillusioned with me personally may be a new and painful experience for you but many members have had that experience with me. Most of their pain has been caused not only by my several shortcomings but by their own insistence on placing me, a drunk, trying to get along with other folks, upon a completely illusionary pedestal; a station which no fallible person could possible occupy."

"I'm sure that you will understand that I have never held myself out to anybody as either a saint or a superman. I have repeatedly and truthfully said that A.A. is full of people who have made more spiritual progress than I ever, or can make. That in some areas of living I have made some decided gains but in others I seem to have stood still. And in others, still other ways I may have gone backwards. I am sorry that you are disillusioned with me but I am happy that even I have found a life here." Bill Wilson1960

12 comments:

molly said...

cool! thanks for sharing that.

Syd said...

Bill W. was a mere mortal but I believe he was inspired by God. Thanks for the history.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

remind me of the 'turtle with a mustache' story on one of amaro's talks. cant remember which one. will look it up..

interesting story. hadnt heard it. thanks for sharing!

Recovery Road London said...

Wonderful post. Humble and to the point. No flim-flam or waffle.

Anonymous said...

I sure can identify. Reminds me of myself.

What I like is how "real" Bill W. was - being able to see himself clearly - his assets and limitations. That's refreshing and freeing.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love Bill! Such a way with words.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

ah..
relationships and sexuality 10 minutes into the talk.
that where the turtle story is. about spiritual seekers who look for perfect teacher, who doesn't exist. like a turtle with a mustache!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some humility there. Thanks.

Molls said...

I've always firmly believed that a pedestal is the worst place for any person to be.

Michael said...

It must be hard to live up the name he got, I prefer to be unknown and a nobody, nothing more worse than fame

indistinct said...

In my gratitude, I think I had Bill Wilson way up high, almost next to my Higher Power.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Is there more than the 12 Steps? said...

This letter came after Bill W. had done his catechism with Bishop Fulton Sheen in NYC...wonder what his response would have been 10 years earlier...great post thank you.

Love n light,

Richard Curtis aka ezduzit777 on twitter
See my blog "Is there more than the 12 Steps?" at
http://istheremorethanthesteps.blogspot.com/2011/02/is-there-more-than-steps-of-course.html