Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Still Dating

I went to the service yesterday for my friends brother. It was heartbreaking. Only 46 and obviously very loved. The funeral home was overflowing with friends and family. When we pulled up we thought there must be more than one service going on but it was all for him. Quite a few of us from AA showed up to offer her support and I think it helped to have the fellowship of AA surround her. I think it also helped her sister and mother because they could see that the other alcoholic in the family had requested and was receiving help. And it felt good to be there for her. So sad that despite all this love, this man couldn't grasp it. I also contemplated the fact that I could be there. In the past I had a very hard time offering support to friends who had lost loved ones. Especially after my Dad died 10 years ago. But now that I trust in a Higher Power, I feel secure in that its okay, whatever happens. And I can try to pass that along.

That said, I heard something I really connected to last night at our Step Meeting. We were on the 7th Step. and a woman shared that her sponser said that Step 3 was when you became engaged to God and Step 7 was when you got married. I really liked that analogy. Analogies help me wrap my brain around some of this stuff. When I read an Easier Softer Way of the 12 Steps....(I had a clunker in the driveway and admitted I could not fix it..I came to believe that a mechanic could fix it and restore it to working condition, etc .) the steps clicked for me and I got myself to my first meeting. Thanks Archie. After hearing the analogy of engagement and marriage, I realized that I am probably still dating. It started out as a blind date and then I began to trust Him. Now, we've gone to second base and we're serious but I'm still working up my courage for marriage. I am developing my understanding.


Another little thing...I am looking up quotes for my son's yearbook. I found this one from Abraham Lincoln: "The best think about the future is that it comes one day at a time." Whoa! Do you think he was one of us???? xo

9 comments:

One Prayer Girl said...

I have discovered that funerals for AA people are so often like that - lots of people showing up to lend support to family and friends. We are like another family. It's a wonderful life. WE ARE NOT ALONE!

Pammie said...

Oh how I hate this disease.
Oh how I love its' members !!!

Michael said...

Step 3 when you get engaged and Step 7 when you marry, that makes sense to me a lot, yes.
Its been a mad few days for me, I was quite ill today, feeling sick usual, but at the same time I enjoyed today, its been hard but its not boring is life anymore.
Who was it who said "life happens when you are busy making other plans".
Oh well I better get to bed, I have slept already when I got home so I dunno if ill sleep now

Syd said...

Thanks for the analogy. I'm amazed at how much caring there is in this fellowship.

Anonymous said...

I really like that, thanks Kathy.

Shadow said...

what a lovely quote!

i love the analogies you posted here. that kind of thinking also works for me...

indistinct said...

When I stop a moment and think about what a commitment marriage is, then what you say makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing that.

I feel so useless when I go to funerals and memorial services. I finally realized the best thing I can take with me is a hug. I don't need magic words. Thanks for the reminder and the example of how AA reaches out to us.

Mary Christine said...

It is always amazing to me what AA people do to funerals and how families are impacted by it. Only saw it as a negative thing once... and it was really bad.

steveroni said...

OLO! Blind date with God. Trust God. Serious with God. Second base with God. Thinking of Engagement, marriage with God. LOVE IT!

Glad I think of my Higher Power (God) as genderless, otherwise I might have a bit of trouble with all that--for me.

Like I wrote somewhere, we REALLY get to know one another here. Thank you for sharing, KL.