Saturday, June 23, 2007

An Easier Softer Way for the Newcomer

I saw this posted elsewhere and I loved it. It has hit a chord with me.

Step 1: I had an old clunker parked in the driveway. I hadjust about given up on it, but decided to make a wholehearted attempt to restore it

Step 2: I couldn't fix it, but I came to believe someone could.

Step 3: I turned the car over to a mechanic.

Step 4: I took an inventory of all that was wrong with the old clunker.

Step 5: I shared the inventory with the mechanic.

Step 6: I helped take off the old parts.

Step 7: I let the mechanic handle the rest.

Step 8: We made a list of all the parts that were needed,and got together and went over them.

Step 9: I admitted I hadn't checked the oil and fluidsproperly, or fixed the other things that were going wrong. It was my responsibility to take care of the car,and I had not. I wanted to help, but being unfamiliarwith the process, I allowed the mechanic to fix things The car turned out beautifully!

Step 10: I checked the oil, fluids, tires etc. more regularly, and when I didn't the engine didn't hummmmm.

Step 11: I called on the mechanic whenever there was trouble, asking him to fix the car.

Step 12: That mechanic and I had become such close friends we decided to take a trip across the country, and stoppedto help all that needed it along the way

1 comment:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

That's actually very cool Kathryn. Thanks for sharing it, as I haven't seen it before.
I always say to Sponsees that the programme is little more than common sense, and that they are just kind of need to learn a bit of common sense, and that when they get to step 9, they will think the programme is very 'ordinary'. they just look at me blankly, like there is some GREAT secret to the whole thing. but they 'get it' later and DO decide the programme is just common sense. i like this passage because it communicates the 'ordinary-ness' of recovery very well. despite the fact that the programme contains a very unfathomable mystery ingredient. whatever. its a great passage for new people.