Friday, June 22, 2007

Urges

Okay. Up to today I can honestly say the urges to drink have not been too profound and I've been feeling very postive. I've been able to divert my attention or avoid the urge in the first place by just avoiding certain situations or maintaining a level of calm. But here it is Friday afternoon. It was a long day at work and I'm exhausted. My house is a mess. My daughter is already reeking havoc and has not even been home for 24 hours. I've got a lot of stressful financial planning on my plate for the weekend. And that desire to wind down with a glass of wine is just slapping me in the face. I even thought okay, just a sip, not even a whole glass. Well actually, that wasn't me. That was Big Bastard. (I'd call him BB for short but I don't want to confuse people between him and the Big Book:) So this is the beginning of an Urge Log:

Date: 6/22/07
Time: Began at 4:00pm on the drive home from work.
Peak Intensity: on a 1-10 scale, I'd say a 7.5
Duration: Well, it's 5:40 pm right now so 2 hours at least
Rise to the Urge: Friday afternoon routine, tired, stress
Extent of engaging in the Urge: 0, so far
Reaction to engagment: Gritting my teeth but typing away even though I've got tired computer hands. Will feel great if I get through the night.

Can't really avoid this "high risk" situation. Friday's come once a week, my daughter is here to stay (and I love her), challenging work will always be exhausting and I like challenges. So, the only thing to do is change my thinking, take a nap, who cares about the house, tell my daughter I can't engage in a battle and leave tomorrow's chores to tomorrow. AND NOT DRINK!

Okay, maybe this will help?

2 comments:

johno said...

It was suggested to me to start collecting new peoples phone numbers who were of the same sex as me, from very early on in recovery. Take Action. Phone one of them EVERY day, ask them how they are, leave messages if I got a voicemail, offer to go with them to a meeting, share my experience of whats i've been doing in AA, whats worked for me in dealing with my "stuff" in the last how ever many days I had been, "Pass It On", what was suggested to me. At times we are unable to get to meetings. At these times, when restless, irritable & discontented, I have phoned one after the other after the other after the other. Somthing happens, I stayed sober. I forgot about myself. Its not about staying on the phone for hours with people, it just about helping others as they had done for me. Like Bill W AA's "co founder" did, when he got the urge to drink in the hotel lobby... P154 Big Book, he took action to find another alky to help, he phoned and phoned and phoned until he got through to someone, who led him to Dr Bob... and AA was born. Have a look at RECOVERY ARCHIVE blog margin on right hand side, see "6 things to do each day" suggestion *No2 Phone a newcomer. Give it away to keep it. THIS IS YOUR MOST POWERFUL DEFENCE AGAINST DRINKING* Both Dr Bob's Nightmare and Bills Story are both in the Big Book. Both speak about their work with other alcoholics and although Dr Bob had cravings for 1.5years after stopping drinking, both these men died sober. My experience is that "using the phone" works, often just one phone call "took the edge off my mood, changes me" I didnt do this suggestion perfectly, but it worked when i work it, and still does, same as it did for those 100 members who wrote the big book for us.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

I think pretty much all new people find the weekends difficult to begin with. I found going to meetings, especially early morning ones helped a lot. it was always nice being surrounded by people and going to cafes and bistros endlessly. It was a lot of fun as I recall.