Monday, June 25, 2007

Tough Day

I had a really hard time with my boss today. He is a brilliant attorney and I have learned a great deal from him. But I am sure he is also obsessive compulsive or maybe bipolar (his sister is) . At the very least he has ADD. So he is a very hard individual to work for and it is just the 2 of us. He is a sole practioner. Nooone else he has hired has ever lasted. I've been there for 7 1/2 years now. I love the work and most of the time I can deal with him, actually I should say manage him or just yes him. We even have a relationship where I can make fun of his idiosyncracies or give him a hard time right back.

But today, it was just getting to me. I just didn't feel like accepting or managing his behavio. I just wanted to tell him he was crazy and judgemental. He goes on and on about other people, full of judgement or resentment. I usually try to get him to see the other side or I'll yes him just to get him to stop but boy oh boy, I just wanted to say SHUT UP. DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF?? But I can't really do that. He signs my paycheck. He goes on and on about authentic communication but he never listens to a word anyone ever says. He formulates his opinions and no matter what someone says he spins it to fit his view. And he's good at it, he's an attorney.

He noticed that I wasn't myself today. He just kept jumping around from one thing to another and I guess I was getting visibly pissed. He asked me if I had been out "partying" over the weekend. I had to laugh. I told him far from it, but I just wanted to finish something. Once he passes something on to me he forgets and moves on to the next thing. I wouldn't mind but then he wants to know if I finished the first thing. ARGHHH.

Anyway, don't mean to dump though it does feel great to let this all out here. Noone else really gets it except for the few folks who have worked for him in the past that I occasionally run into. But I don't want to badmouth him either so we just knowingly shake our heads. His brother is also an attorney in another part of the state and from what I gather from his paralegal, he is the same way except he is not a workaholic which my boss is so there is never any getting away.

But I was thinking that perhaps this is all me. In the past I was probably too focused on my hangover to really deal with him so I just didn't care. Now, perhaps I am just a bit more sensitive?? Lost some of the defenses. I don't know but I hope I get over it. I've got a couple of days off this week to attend my daughters college orientation so maybe the time off will help.

Didn't drink though and went to a meeting in my neighborhood on the river. It was nice. Well, nice isn't actually accurate but it felt right. Night.

8 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Nah. Its not you. The guy sounds like a sure fire A-hole. hahahaa Thats the technical term.
Very common. For people to have shitty bosses, shitty friends, just about anything really. There are lots of bullying environments one can work in. (see http://www.bullyonline.org/) It doesn't really make sense to be in one when there are some really nice people out there you could be working for instead. That job sounds ideal for someone who is VERY anesthetized! Oh well. Check out the papers. Start looking for jobs. Temping even? Summer is ? Supposed to be a busy time for temping. I dunno. I know the IDEAL job for step 1-9 or first 18months recovery is what I call a treading water job. Easy, you know? Why not chat to your other paralegal friends or ask people who worl in your business about where would be a nice firm to work in. better still, go to an AA meeting full of lawyer types and ask them where would be a nice place to work in. you know, ask around! You see, in respect of knowing the desirability (in employment terms) of law firms in your area they are a 'power greater than yourself', because they know more collectively about workplaces than you do as an individual.
What part of town do all the lawyers work in? Well, just go to a meeting in that area, and you should bump into a few! See! Isn't AA cool? I think it is. There are MILLIONS of cool people that you can get feedback from. You need never struggle to figure stuff out all on your own EVER again! Phew! Life is SO much easier when you have that resource.

Shadow said...

is your boss a virgo by changce?????

i've also felt that from time to time, how 'normal' things just become totally impossible to handle. and what's changed? only me... weird.

Kathy Lynne said...

No definitaly not a Virgo. May 21, so does that make him a Gemini like me or is that still Taurus? But I think what Irish Friend says is true, it was easier to deal with when I was anesthetized (I guess having a hangover would still count) or when I could leave work and come home and pour a glass of wine to "get over it. Unfortuantely, because I'm part time that was at 2 pm and I would then go on for the evening. And you're right, I am the only thing that has changed in the equation although he pissed me off before as well, I just found it more difficult to deal with yesterday and actually, now I have this wonderful outlet to express myself. I don't know if I could leave. First of all, everything I said yesterday aside, he really doesn't see this stuff. He is not doing it on purpose or maliciously. He really is a nice guy and can be good natured about his faults as well. I really think he's got some disorder. If I left the office, I think he would lose it and I'm not sure I want that responsibility. Plus, it is really flexible for me, I can come and go as I please for the most part because I am so crucial to his practice. So for now I just need to suck it up and not let the things I cannot change get to me. Well, I've got to go to work now:). I'll be late but that's what I like, it won't work against me. I feel better already. Thanks!

Kathy Lynne said...

No definitaly not a Virgo. May 21, so does that make him a Gemini like me or is that still Taurus? But I think what Irish Friend says is true, it was easier to deal with when I was anesthetized (I guess having a hangover would still count) or when I could leave work and come home and pour a glass of wine to "get over it. Unfortuantely, because I'm part time that was at 2 pm and I would then go on for the evening. And you're right, I am the only thing that has changed in the equation although he pissed me off before as well, I just found it more difficult to deal with yesterday and actually, now I have this wonderful outlet to express myself. I don't know if I could leave. First of all, everything I said yesterday aside, he really doesn't see this stuff. He is not doing it on purpose or maliciously. He really is a nice guy and can be good natured about his faults as well. I really think he's got some disorder. If I left the office, I think he would lose it and I'm not sure I want that responsibility. Plus, it is really flexible for me, I can come and go as I please for the most part because I am so crucial to his practice. So for now I just need to suck it up and not let the things I cannot change get to me. Well, I've got to go to work now:). I'll be late but that's what I like, it won't work against me. I feel better already. Thanks!

Judith said...

Even if it is not because you are not numb from drinking, you are dealing with new sobriety. That is a lot to deal with without having to deal with a firecracker personality like your boss. My emotions are still kind of all over the place with dealing with people, although it is much, much better now than it was in my first year of sobriety. What I did was try to think of it as a sociology project in a way. Kind of examine how I was reacting and viewing everything with new eyes. It was educational, to say the least, lol.

Talking about it in meetings also helped, or with a sponsor or another sober person (or here in your blog). Any place where other people will nod their heads in commisseration, much like the response you get about your boss. We understand because we've been where you are.

I definitely know what you mean about it feeling right being in a meeting. Just sitting in the room, even when I don't know a soul sometimes just feels safe and I don't always know why.

You sound really good. Keep it up.

Peace,
Judith

Kathy Lynne said...

Thanks Judith. That's where I am for meetings right now. Not knowing anyone, listening and feeling safe. I can feel that soon I will be ready to commit to a certain group when I find it and start meeting people and the rest but not quite yet. And yes, blogging about the firecracker really helped!

johno said...

You could get your CV Resume uptodate and start looking at other job opportunities, in the meantime... some stuff i use now .. When people give me task after task after task in a uptight, frantic manner, as my boss often does. I ask them "When do you need this to be done by?" "Is this a priority over this one ?" "I will not be able to do this by that time, as I already have this to do this afternoon etc" The last one is really hard, Firstly because I am being truthful and its hard when I have spent most of my life trying to be a perfectionist and do everything, people pleasing, to say "I cant do that" brings up the fear. Secondly they have to deal with it. They either have to give it someone else, do it themselves or, re-evaluate the deadlines they have given me. It always works out in the end. Being truthful with the "frantics", really shows up where they are being unreasonable (even if when they dont want to see their behaviour, some people arent interested, I can) Some people are thoughtless and abusive, so you may end up leaving like all the rest anyway, practice on him while you are there. I found work very hard in early recovery, I was very sick, and it hurt to accept that I was in a job I just couldnt manage to do anyway, so I had to change eventually, but thats enough about me.

Kathy Lynne said...

Thanks John. Yesterday was actually a better day. I like the the term "frantic" because indeed that is just what he is. I often use the approaches you suggested but I think because of my issues I just didn't feel like I should have to and I guess I was feeling resentment about that. Now yesterday, I just told him he need to take a pill and settle down:) Sometimes I tread the line when I am out and out blunt like that but it shocks him and makes me feel better and then we can get on with it. I guess I am lucky that I can speak to him like that SOMETIMES. Today will be the last day before 2 much needed days off!