Sunday, June 24, 2007

Second Meeting

I went to another meeting this afternoon. There was one in town where my friend's party was so I decided to go after the party. First of all the cookout was fun. Had a few twinges as everyone was drinking beer and wine but lo and behold they weren't DRINKING, they were simply having a drink. I showed up with my large DD iced coffee and noone asked me why I wasn't drinking. So that whole thing was a relief.

The hurdle for me to go to this meeting was it was in the town where I know everyone and where my kids go to school. That had always held me back... what if I see someone I know. Well, I did and it was true what every AA person's response was to that question. They are there for the same reason so, so what. In fact, it was another enlightening moment for me to see a face I didn't expect to see. I didn't speak to anyone though. Not quite there yet.

Again, it was a speaker meeting and again my life story was very different from the gentleman who spoke with the exception of the drinking part of course. But even his drinking was different than mine. I felt very empathetic to him but couldn't really relate. But then, he said that many people come to the meetings and wait for something to happen. He said that was like sitting in your garage and waiting to become a car.

AGAIN WITH THE CARS!!!! I do believe Someone is trying to tell me something.

7 comments:

johno said...

The car thing... sometimes these themes crop up, and they make me smile too. Coincidences, there are none!!

Judith said...

I've been going to meetings all this time, and the only car thing I can recall is someone talking about going to jail for stealing them. LMAO.

I'm sure someone used a car analogy somewhere in the six hundred plus meetings I've been to in the past year and a half, but that's so funny that they keep cropping up for you.

Being empathetic is very important. One of these times you will probably run into someone with a story so much like yours that it will surprise you. Or maybe not... maybe you will be the one to tell your story and help someone see their own life and make the changes necessary to become a better person.

One thing I have found is that the people in the rooms of AA are all at least trying to become better human beings. Not all are successful, but there is something to be said for those on that sort of a quest. It's not a bad place to be. It's kind of hard to be embarrassed to be seen in that company if you look at it that way.

I'm so glad the party went well for you.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Morning meetings are VERY different from evening ones. at the weekend anyway. trust me! there will be a sober posse of young-ish women someplace in your neighbourhood! you just have to FIND them. ask women in the meetings you go to fot tips on what meetings to go to. or ong time sober people. and get a list of meetings. theres a book called living sober which is pretty eay to read too.. good luck!

Shadow said...

very nicely said: they weren't drinking, they were having a drink....

not likely to happen in my world again though!

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

another Gemini, another woman of a certain age checking in. Just found your blog. sobriety is one long process of discovery--loved your comment about not drinking but having a drink. I'll be back!

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Thanks for your visit. We women of a certain age have got to stick together has we noodle through this life! Let's keep in close touch, okay? I love the North Shore, by the way.

Redhead Gal said...

I am almost caught up with you! I'm so proud of you getting to the meetings. Walking in that door was one of the hardest things I ever did.
And I was paranoid about seeing someone I knew too. I used to go to different towns... Now, I don't care anymore. I'm doing something positive and deserve kudos, not shame.

Keep going and you will almost always get a nugget or two you can identify with. I attend a couple of women only meeting and I can really identify with people there.