Friday, June 13, 2008

Party

The one thing about turning 50 is that there are a lot of parties...I didn't have one thankfully but 2 of my friends from high school are this weekend one of whom I partied with through my 20s. One tonight and one on Saturday night. So we are going back to my home town for the parties. I am not worried about drinking. If it gets uncomfortable I'll leave...these are my friends not my husbands so he should be good with that. At first I thought I'd walk in guns blazing....I'm an Alcoholic! I go to AA, ! need to make an amends to you!.....for that time I threw up in the centerpiece at your wedding, or that time you left me in Rhode Island without a car (I'm sure because I was so drunk that I was obnoxious) or the time I made you miss Aerosmith because I threw up in the aisle before they even got on stage. I am pretty confident that people will notice that I'm not drinking. My reputation from those days is life of the party and pounding them down! But I realized this morning at the meeting that I just need to take a breath and slow down. Whether I tell them, whether I make amends is not in my time but in God's time. If it happens it happens if not that's okay too. The point is I am willing. Thank God for step meetings and sponsers.

There are no meetings in the town where I went to high school. I find that amazing. Maybe its just my perception but it seemed to me that 90% of my graduating class drank and drugged. I've got a meeting list for the surrounding area so I'm good but geez!


So Have a great weekend.....sober!

6 comments:

Fireman John said...

wow!!
quite a week of milestones;
1 year sober and the big five o!
kudos on your year; and remember life begins at 50.

Shadow said...

you sound well prepared for your weekend of parties. enjoy!

Syd said...

I hope that you have a great time. I am amazed at what you write about your drinking days. I've seen some bad things over the years but....throwing up in the center piece made me laugh for some reason. Have a great weekend and enjoy being sober.

johno said...

happy 50th"!!
and congrats on your 1st anniversary... may you have many more 1 days at a time :)

Jenn said...

Do what feels right Kathy, but most of all, have fun and be proud of how far you have come.

Michael said...

hey kathy ill be 40 next year.
Yes I loved to party, but with no one left to party with at the end I was to enjoy the party in my head sat alone in the woods.
I have felt real angry and drepressed all weekend, I said lots of prayers but still the anger keeps coming, its churning out of me, like a volcano, spitting over everyone, ill be glad to go to AA tonight.