Thursday, June 5, 2008

Annonynmity

So here's a situation that I share here because I am not sure I handled it very well. In fact I'm sure I could have handled it differently and want to fix it. There are steps I can take but since I can't always trust my instincts, I lay them out here.

A woman attended our Stepsisters meeting and was clearly new. I recognized her as a teacher from the middle school. Once she settled in I approached her and welcomed her to the meeting and told her who I was. (right there I'm wondering if I should have just kept my big mouth shut regarding my recognizing her and identifying my children.) She asked about my children whom she had taught. So we briefly discussed them and then I welcomed her again and took my seat. I saw her heave a big sigh of what I hoped was relief so I approached her again and asked if it was her first meeting. (and here I'm thinking I should have assured her that she was safe even though I had recognized her). She said it was her third and as we were talking another member of the group arrived with her daughter whom she regularly brings. This rattled the teacher and she told me she wasn't expecting children and that she didn't think she should stay for her own sake and the child's sake. I told her I wasn't sure this girl even attended her school so we asked the mother who replied that she did and the teacher then realized that she may very well have this girl as a student next year. She wanted to leave though we encouraged her to stay and she felt that she didn't want to put the young girl in the position of having to protect her annonynmity even though her mother said she has been raised in AA and understands the principles. Another woman told her she should do whatever she felt most comfortable doing. The teacher chose to leave and I tried to think of another meeting she could go to but it was all too rushed. She was shook up and actually I was too. And here I think that I should have left with her to go to another meeting. Or at least walked outside with her to talk or given her my number. Instead I took my seat feeling uncomfortable. The mother of the girl said boy did she have something to talk to her sponser about now.

I am hoping that I will see her tonight or tomorrow night. The woman who directed her to the meeting goes to both. If that is the case then I will know she is continuing to seek help and it will be okay. However, I can't help but feel if I don't see her that perhaps we scared her away. And then in that case I may have harmed another alcoholic. So, if I don't see her I could talk to the woman who directed her to the meeting to see if she knows her personally or just met her at another meeting. What that would do I don't know since I don't particularly trust this woman as she is in and out and seems to resist the program. In other words she doesn't have what I want and not sure I want to pass that on to a newcomer. Since I know this teacher I could call her myself. Either through information if she's listed or through the school. But I don't want to overstep my boundries. Or I could just pray for her but I just can't help but feel that I need to right a wrong. I just don't want to make it worse. I'll start with the praying.

8 comments:

Michael said...

Yes Kathy, its complicated that Anonyminity principle, I myself am not bothered and make no secret of being an alcoholic, well it certainly was pretty obvious to the entire neighbourhood!
At work everyone knows, but its not the same for everyone so I started when talking about AA on my blog to use pseudonyms which works well.
Some people in jobs such as teaching it does matter so I reckon its a tough one for them, do they go locally, anyway everyones there for the same reson arnt they well I have probably confused it even more...

Syd said...

Maybe giving her a call would be helpful too. Teachers have to put up with a lot of stuff so I can understand her reluctance to be recognized.

molly said...

maybe play several scenes forward to see what may or may not happen if you do option A or option B and which may seem more helpful to the teacher as it plays through. that's a sticky one ya got there. but very workable! if you aren't sure, wait 24 more hours and if still not sure - choose option C - do nothing and wait until the right answer comes.

who knows - these things usually sort themselves right out though so try not to worry! u did nothing wrong here - except try to be helpful and friendly to a new person from what i can tell.

Janeiro said...

I am an alcoholic, and have also been a teacher. I have run into parents while drinking in bars. I believe that she NEEDS for you to contact her. I can easily seeing myself isolating to protect my identity. If someone had called to say that they would help me in my struggle, and would help me find meetings that allowed more privacy, it would be a great gift.

Patricia Marie said...

If I recognize someone I know at a meeting, I wave "hello" and have a seat. I leave it up to the other person to make a move. I have to admit, I am not much for having children at meetings. I believe there are some things a child does not need to hear.

molly said...

there is a new sober blogger online at http://300daysinthesun.blogspot.com/ if you want to go say hi.

Anybeth said...

I'm very suprised that children are allowed at meetings. Doesn't it affect the way people share?

Anonymous said...

Whenever I see someone new at a meeting that I "know", I never bring up where I know them from unless they do first. I always introduce myself to them like it is the first time I ever met them. There have been two times this has happened, once it was a guy that my husband works with, and once it was a girl that works where I buy my groceries. I would let it go, and if you see her again just start over and strike up a conversation about a meeting you recently attended, or other AA stuff and leave her job, and your kids out of it.