Sunday, June 22, 2008

Robin Red Breast

Well, this was my attempt to outdo Molly's husband and get a great shot of the robin feeding her babies. I'm so competitive. There are three babies. This was from the other day. I failed. I need one of those professional cameras not a Canon Power Shot! Its not so powerful.

Do the fathers do the feeding? That's what it appears to me. Then the mother comes and hangs out for awhile. Or maybe its vice versa. This morning as I was on my swing the parent landed on the rail right next to me with a worm hangin' out of its mouth and then was very suprised to see me and flew away. I realized they use the railing to launch to get to the nest. So because I was there the poor thing had to go around and through the trees and vines. Not quite as easy but he did it and the little chicks necks strained to get the worm. So fun to watch. A few years ago my husband and I sat on the swing and got to watch as the babies learned to fly. I hope we are there for that this time too. My kids cannot understand my fascination. But I love it.

I woke up with a splitting headache this morning (no, not a hangover Judith:) Not sure the cause. Its probably my cycle, sorry guys. Or maybe I have a meeting hangover. I went to three yesterday. Or maybe its from cigarettes, yes I've picked up that nasty habit again. On and off since Feb. I successfully quit in May but when I went to the lake with the girls I smoked with the smokers. I think it was my way of belonging since I didn't drink. Came home and didn't smoke for a week but then....well......maybe on my trip to Albuquerque which means I should stop today and get the patch so I'm prepared. I clearly understand this is a substitute addiction which means I've got some work to do. What is it that's missing? Maybe I'll find it in New Mexico. Or maybe its from worry. My daughter didn't make it home last night. She called around midnight as they got on the Hutchinson Parkway in NYC towards home. I wanted her to stay at my brother's. She said we're teenagers, we're not tired and we drank coffee. I am certain she just stayed in Boston with her friend she had to drop off and didn't call because it was too late. That's what I wanted her to do anyway and we didn't get a call to say she's dead so I know that's where she is but how do I accept that. My son got out of work at 11 and went to one of his friends houses where everyone was hanging out. Then he slept over another friends house. So my worry is they were drinking. Yet he probably wasn't because he's trying out for a club soccer team this morning. The kid knows what he has to do, he's an athlete and he takes care of himself. I must get over to Pat's blog and read what she wrote about worry yesterday. I put that off.

Then last night I went to that meeting. It was a great remember when and I was pleased to share my experience a year ago for the newcomers in the room. The fellow who spoke is from my morning group and he is quite the charachter. I like him but can't make any sense of him. He's been sober for over 20 years but he's a mess. He's never had a sponser, never worked the program except meetings, he's in this horrible relationship and he can't understand what's wrong with him but he knows something is. He's got too many thoughts rolling around his head and he usually throws them up in quite the scattered form. So the meeting was a bit off until discussion. And of course fate stepped in. My backup sponser was there which was a pleasant suprise as was my neighbor. Thank God because when we left my car wouldn't start. My daughter took my Prius for the gas benefits (my gas) so I was driving our old Saab. The bell kept dinging all day and we couldn't figure out what it was because no matching lights were going on. Then on the way to the meeting the ABS light went on, the radio was going in and out and then the check tool box light went on. I made it to the meeting and looked it all up and it said go to the dealer. I went in and prayed it would start when I left but it didn't but no worries, my neighbor was there "coincidentally". Her first time at that meeting in a long time too.

Anyway this post had been a huge mind dump. Thanks for being here.

7 comments:

Shadow said...

dump all you want and need. that's what it's for! as long as it helps you feel better, see things better, feel lighter...

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

had a splitting headache sunday afternoon for like 4 hours for no particular reason. I never get em. weird huh. i read someone else had a bad one sunday too. i love pointless coincidences!

Michael said...

I listened to you Kathy, I prayed for the Ice Queen and its all sorted now, you are so right, but sometimes it needs someone to tell me that.
I love watching nature as well.

~Tyra~ said...

We had some baby robins but unfortunately we had a bad storm not long after they hatched and they were blown from the nest.

molly said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!

the daddy cardinal at our house did most of the active feeding - mom was a LOT more skidish (why does that spelling look wrong?).. of course, in the REAL world of human birds - the LADY 'bird' is the one doing most of the feeding while the DADDY bird sits around on his laptop and watching TV waiting for HIS food hole to be fed all the time.. rut roe - me thinks me smells a resentment. sonofabi*otch. marriage is exhausting isn't it sometimes?!

get MORE PICS - try try again. i wanna see those birds!

Syd said...

Sometimes one needs to do a brain dump. I generally do mine when I get on the boat--it's more of a brain ooze. All the bad stuff just flows out.

johno said...

Sometimes one just needs a dump!