Tuesday, June 24, 2008

www.supportasoldier.org

So I've got this box that has been sitting on my table, (remember my dining room table) for a few weeks now. It's full of food, all kinds of stuff. I didn't even have to go shopping, I had it and noone was eating it but it was good stuff. Anyway, I need to send it off to the soldier I was given. I signed up to send care packages over. He is in Iraq and my husband said the other day not to bother because the war was over and the troops came home. If only....

Procrastination is a five sylable word for sloth. That's what it says in the 12 x 12. I've always been bad with mailing things. For some reason, putting a package together, then sealing it, then labeling it and then horror of horrors going to the post office seems to be too much for me. The same with cards. I love buying them. But I always want to write a note, then I've got to find the address, and then see above. Geez! I love email cards because I can just zip 'em off. And if I shop online I can send gifts directly.

I can't tell you how well this works because I haven't completed the task. I can tell you that if you sign up they send you an email with your soldier's name and address and when he is returning. My goal is to get this package in the mail by July 2009! It be nice if I did it earlier so he could maybe get more than one. They send you a three page list of suggested items and also tell you what you can't send.

Anyway, I thought if I wrote about it I could finally get this thing out of my house and my soldier could enjoy his goodies.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Yes Kathy that war in Iraq never seems to be ending does it, but its good to see you have gone to a lot of trouble to help someone over there.
I have probs with sloth behaviour, best thing to do, is just do stuff straight away it only nags at you if not done.
Yes Im certainly glad the Ice Queen feud is over, its so much better for my state of mind to stay on the right side of her.
Anyway another resentment is bubbling up now

Syd said...

That is going to mean a lot to a soldier. Good for you.

molly said...

i was expecting to see bird pictures.

gonna read your post today now but i'm going to keep checking back for birds!

Anonymous said...

Bless you for all your efforts wiht the troops. You have done way more than I have

Judith said...

I've got one of those support the troops with goods bookmarked, but I haven't even taken the steps to sign up, so you're way ahead of me. But if you can figure out how much your package weighs, you can buy and print out postage at home by going to www.usps.com and then you can call the post office when you are ready to ship it and they will come pick it up from you for free. You can also go drop it off in the post office. Someone at the desk needs to see you do it (you just find a good place to slip in and say "this is all paid for, can I just leave it here?" and skip the line altogether. Usually the clerk will do a quick: "is there anything fragile, liquid or flammable" (or whatever they say) in the package, which you should be able to answer in the negative. And *poof* you are off to the envy of those in line.

I sold on eBay for a few years. This is terrific when you have a load of boxes to ship at Christmas time.