Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Gift

Today is the anniversay of my last drunk. It was a Sunday It really was no different than any other day.....I assume that I had been drinking all week as usual and I think on Saturday, while I was drinking, I had decided (yet again) to quit FOREVER..... tomorrow!. Of course Sunday came, I woke up in the morning, sick as dog as usual but determined that today would be the day. By early afternoon, I was in my car and down to the local store to buy "groceries" for dinner. Of course it was just as easy to add the wine to my cart. You know the routine. I self justified, rationalized and in plain english BULLSHITTED my way to the store. And then I spent the afternoon pleasantly sitting on my porch swinging on my swing, reading and sipping away. Feeling better with each sip because the hangover was going away. Although I wasn't really a sipper, I was more of a gulper. I didn't drink my wine out of a pretty glass but usually out of a tumbler normally used for iced tea. I drank away the afternoon with no more thought to my resolve. I made dinner and later we watched the finale of the Sopranos. I remembered it. I didn't pass out. I didn't black out though that was usual for me. Nothing horrible happend except the next morning I was so sick I couldn't face my job or myself. I don't know what happened that morning or why it was different than any other morning. I know it had nothing to do with me.

It was a gift.

6 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

YaaaaaaYYYY!
Ah Bless. Another soul restored to dignity. what a wonderful thing!
Bless. You have put in the footwork, so pat yourself on the back showing up and getting on with it. Many do not, and reap the consequences.
Well done. Keep on keepin on and I dare say it will be more of the same year in, year out. (a day at a time of course)
Amazing isn't it? Where did the time go? So fast!
Cool! The first year anniversary is a bit special as we start to have some confidence that we CAN actually do this 'sobriety' thing. ..because we can!

Ah well done Kathy. Cool!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a year!
I discoveder your blog a few weeks ago and have been reading your older posts. I identify with many things you have to say!
Take care,
Laura

Fireman John said...

you discovered it's easier to fool others; than to BS ourselves.
never forget that empty feeling.

Patricia Marie said...

Congrats my friend.

molly said...

FANTASTICO! I'm so glad you are here. I'd been thinking you were coming up on a year and here it is! It goes by so slowly at first - then speeds up - then slows - then speeds again and well, here you are. I'm tickled for you. I'm still trying to catch up with you since around 90 days I think. ha.. Thanks for being you and congrats!

Shadow said...

all it takes is one day, one moment in a day. then your life changes. look at your now, 1 year down the line. i'm happy for you, you are inspiring, thanks for being around for me too over this time!