Thursday, June 5, 2008

RFK

Today is the anniversary of the assination of Robert F. Kennedy. I was 10 years old and this was one of the first political memories I have. I remember hearing and seeing it on the Today show as I got ready for school and being devastated and angry with my friend who did not know or seem to care. As an adult I look back at that time as when our country seemed to veer away from the values and ideals that I hold dear. I am very grateful that we seem to be headed back in that direction. I was struck by this piece today in the NY Times by his daughter and particularly by her statement "that peace is not something to pray for, but something everyone has the responsibility to create every day;" I think the same holds true for our sobriety. It is there for the asking but we must work for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that day as well. It seemed incomprehensible at the time. So much promise lost so soon.