Saturday, June 21, 2008

Home Alone

Today has been a day that I typically would have reveled in alcohol. Its a beautiful summer day. My daughter has gone to NYC to see a ballet. My husband is up at bike week in Laconia. My son did community service all morning and left again for work at 3pm. I would have loved this time. Guilt free drinking. I would have probably started early or maybe I would have waited until 3. Noone will be here for most of the night. J may or may not spend the night but if she comes home it will be in the wee hours of the morning. E will be working until 11 and my husband likely won't be home until tomorrow. I would have started drinking and relished the fact that noone was here to witness my gluttony and nag at me for drinking during the day, having another, opening another or interfering with my drinking by making demands like dinner or a ride or a conversation. I would have wandered around the house. Probably I would be drinking my usual tumbler of red wine but I might have started with gin & tonic given its the first day of summer. Maybe done some chores so I could rationalize the drinking. When they would get home all the laundry might be done and the house might be immaculate. Or I could have blown the whole thing off. They're all having fun so I might as well sit on the porch sipping and reading, or watching a movie. Ultimately I would pass out and would be found "sleeping" on the couch because I was "waiting up". Usually I was unawakable and would be startled into awakeness sometime in the middle of the night. Mouth full of cotton, a pounding headache and disoriented. Then I would have tiptoed around the house and maybe looked out the window to see whose car was here. Gone up to bed to see who was home. The next morning I would say why didn't you wake me when you came home and would be told either that they had tried and couldn't or that I WAS awake, don't I remember? Or I might not have said anything to avoid just that scenario.

Thank you God that is over.
Instead I went to a new meeting this morning a bit away. I liked it and my go again. Then I came home and had a centering prayer sit. Then I took care of some business. Picked up my son and decided it was way too nice to work so sat on my porch in the sun, getting some color, reading a wonderful book by Thomas Keating entitled Invitation to Love in preparation for the conference next weekend. More on that later. Talked to my brother on the phone and set up what we call Teti Camp, when my niece and nephew will come and stay with us for a week. Talked to my son about planning some college visits in New York. Then brought him to work. Read some more and watched the robin feed her babies. Tried not to take a picture and succeeded. Then off to my 11th step meeting. Now I'm back and reveling in the freedom and decided to write about it a bit here. I think I may revisit my first meeting tonight. I haven't been back since and I believe I owe them a thank you. That particular meeting has asked for support from the district so while I cannot make it a regular meeting tonight would be a good night to visit. I think that would be nice.
Here's a bit of what I've been reading today from Invitation to Love by Thomas Keating:
By consenting to God's creation, to our basic goodness as human beings, and to the letting go of what we love in this world we are brought to the final surrender, which is to allow the false self to die and the true self to emerge. the true self might be described as our participation in the divine life manifesting in our uniqueness. God has more that one way of bringing us to this point. It can happen early in adult life, but if it does not, the ongaoing stages of natural life may contribute to bringing it about. In the midlife crisis, even very successful people wonder whether they have accomplished anything. Later we experience physical decline, illness, and the infirmities of old age. What happens in the process of dying may be God's way of correcting all the mistakes we made and all the opportunities we missed in the earlier part of our lives. It may also provide the greatest chance of all to consent to God's gift of ourselves." pg. 48

I believe this is what happened to my father in the last nine months of his life. An agnostic most of his life yet a seeker as well, he came to know God and shared it with me in the last week of his life as did the pastor at the hospital. He worried that he was too late but I think it is clear that we are never too late.

"Consenting to God's will does not mean that we reject the values of any period of life as we pass through it; we simple leave behind its limitations." pg. 47

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Kathy for the reminder that you wrote about today, and the one that you left on my blog. I have been praying for that person today. I guess at this point I finally hit the wall with being mad. I no longer revel in that. I don't like carrying all that hatred and negativity around. I turned to page 552 and the part you suggested I read was well highlighted. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

molly said...

what a lovely post. when u mentioned the cotton mouth, i remembered how i used to HAVE to keep a large glass of water beside my bed every night b/c i woke up each night so "thirsty".. it's those little things that I don't HAVE to do anymore (including the morning pepto swig and xanax) that i am so grateful for. i'm so very glad u have walked this journey right ahead of me - it's been nice to follow you along my friend. glad you are here! thanks for the nice post to read.

Carol said...

I loved the part of the Thomas Keating quote talking about letting go of what we love. I've been reading a lot of Tolle stuff this month that comes down to the same thing, what we 'love' creates pain. When I get close to letting go of the things that I think define me, I feel as if that is either the most insane thing to do or a necessary 'birthing' totally natural transformation. Oh yeah, there is that idea of faith, isn't there? Well, belated happy Saturday!

Fireman John said...

it can be beneficial to recall those hollow drunken stupors; you need never go back.

Janeiro said...

This post sounds so much like me. It would be such a thrill when I was drinking to be able to "get away with it" having no one home. I would make sure the house was immaculate so that it appeared that I had it all together. It was sort of a game. Thanks for your comments and support. I sure need it. I am staying sober thanks to the support of my online friends. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Jenn said...

Just catching up on your blog and wanted to say that I can really relate to this post. I like to be reminded of how pathetic I was, makes me feel strong in my resolve to never revisit that life. With my little girls, it was harder to find that alone time to drink, so I would stay up all hours of the night. I don't miss that at all. I may still stay up too late, but I drink decaf coffee instead of red wine. Hope you are having a great weekend.