Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I am Grateful

So its official..I have been sober for one whole year. Today I am grateful for:

The Gift I was given one year ago today. My therapist reminded me that the last time I drank just "happened" to be Father's Day and suggested that perhaps the Gift had come from my own father trying to finish up business left undone here on earth. His own amends so to speak. Made me cry. It was what I needed. Whether it was my own father or our Father...I accept.

My husband who has been as supportive of my recovery as he enabled my drinking. And I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment, just that if you stick with an alcoholic for 21 years there may be some enabling going on but through sickness and in health he is with me.

My children who inspire me every day.

My Mother whose low bottom became my high bottom.

My sponser who has gently guided me through the steps and AA without me really even knowing it.

Red headed Gal whose blog I found on Day 1 of sobriety and whose story was so like mine.

Scout, Irish Friend and johno who encouraged me to go to AA in those first two weeks of exploration.

The rest of my blog friends who inspire me every day (well, almost every day:)

Archie whose post on an Easier Softer Way helped me to understand the principles of AA which finally got my ass to a meeting.

The AA Beginners Yahoo Group who lurked in the background of my life for years and was there for me when I finally surrendered.

Kathy V. who reached out her hand to me at my first meeting.

The folks in the What's Good About Today group for being there 6 days a week and watching me cry, laugh, holding my hand, hugging me and welcoming me. I love them.

The Tuesday night Stepsisters, see above, and where I found my sponser.

Chickie who encouraged me to pick up that 24 hour chip.

Ruth who told me she always cried during the Lord's Prayer too and that she slept through her entire first year of sobriety and took me on my first commitment.

Bill W. and Dr. Bob, geniouses and divinely inspired.

Trish from AABC , my temporary sponser until I found a face to face one. Thank you for calling me and teaching me how to talk on the phone.

Dorothy, my sponser's sponser who showed me the Grace of God.

Barbara who keeps reminding me that God is either Everything or Nothing.

My book club gals who accept me for who I am.

My AA friends Kathi and Cindy who make me laugh and help me learn.

The fellowship of AA.

Father Thomas Keating for Contemplative Outreach.

Nature...God's artwork.

A roof over my head, clean sheets, being above ground with food in my belly.

You for reading. xo Maybe more later..I've got to get ready for work...Have a great day!

8 comments:

Pammie said...

June 11th birthdays ROCK girl :)
I remember when you came into our community and we both said "HEY-Same Sober Day!!!"
Happy birthday girl.

Syd said...

Awesome stuff. Many congratulations on your year. And the gratitude list is something else. Very touching.

Jenn said...

HAPPY 1 YEAR SOBER!!!! Kathy, you have come a long way and grown so much over the last year. I love your list and think about you often. I feel like I can relate to you a lot and you are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Janeiro said...

Congrats on one year! You should be so happy, thankful and proud!

I am on day 12 of sobriety and thrilled to be sober. I pray for the strength you have shown in the past year.

You are an inspiration.

molly said...

that sure is a shiny chip! keep on keepin on girl. i've said it many times before but want to say again that I am SOOO glad you are here in blogworld with us. You've helped me tremendously and thank you for YOU. I hope there is CAKE for your 1 year AA birthday meeting!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled to get your news over on my blog (and I DO plan to post again one of these days). CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You have done so well!!!!

God bless you.

Red Head Gal

Shadow said...

that's big!!! congratulations!!!! keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kathy! I have loved being party of your journey!! You are an inspiration!

love,
Maura