Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Step Sisters

Well, everyday something else is revealed. Every moment it seems for me lately. Tonight I went to a womens step meeting they call Step Sisters. Just before going, my online sponser called me all the way from California. She is a member of the AABC group and had offered to work with me until I found a sponser. We haven't really done much, worked on Step 1 via an outline she sent me. We talked about my boss which I've posted about here and we talked about sponsership in general. She said she really called to get me used to talking to someone on the phone. Anyway, it was very nice to speak with someone I have just corresponded with via email and posts. And it did help having a conversation about my stuff and having someone not only relate to me but also validate me and give me a direction. Anyway,

I went to the meeting. Lo and behold a woman I know because our daughters went to elementary school together and hung out together this year was there. I have been waiting to see someone I really know at one of these. I've seen a few familiar faces but noone I know. We aren't really friends but we've talked as mothers do. She also worked where I worked in the restaurant but not at the same time and she's a musician and had played there to. Point being, I've known her for awhile and I always liked her. Very friendly, very open. The meeting was a good one. I liked it.

And then, drum roll please..... I asked her to be my sponser. Not sure if that is weird because I know her but I felt comfortable because I know her. It felt like I was brought to this meeting for this purpose. She agreed and we spoke briefly about what that might mean. For tomorrow it means I call her between 2 -3 which amazingly works for both of our schedules and then we'll figure out our schedules to meet. She was worried that she'd have to cart me to meetings which would be tough for her but I don't think I need help in that area. I'm doing about 2 a day, my 7 am daily meeting and then wherever I can find a 7 pm weekly meeting. Don't think I have one for Thursday nights but maybe I can have a night off??? I told her I had numbers but because I had been feeling pretty good about things, without a desire, I didn't know what to say if I called someone so I didn't. And she gave me a good response, at some point I will feel like having a drink and that's what the phone if for.

Drove home and cried again. I'm sick of crying. I'm not going to wear makeup anymore because it is pointless. But at least this crying is not because I am sloppily drunk, or frustrated or sad. It's more of a relief and release. And also an incredulous feeling of belief, of Grace. It just seems so.

Anyway, this is good. I feel good. Like I just did the next right thing.

5 comments:

Meg Moran said...

amazing and wonderful that when we surrender our life to the care of a higher power little miracles start popping up....Meeting Secretary, new sponsor....I used to keep a little "miracle journal" in my early sobriety. Just a litttle list of the small things that happened (phone calls at just the right moment, a check in the mail, etc etc) It was amazing and validating to me to see how God was working in my life.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

cool. yeah you need to get used to using the phone. just make one 5min phone call a day untill it becomes routine. the earlier in the day the better. sounds very exciting!
yeah that thing meg mentions is a goood idea as you will forget all the ''coincidences' later unless you write them down.

Anonymous said...

God puts people into our lives at the time we most need it...last night was your little miracle and the moment for God to intervene.

The woman that runs our Women for Sobriety Group was from my city and we have children the same age in the same school and we do in fact know each other. It actually feels nice to know that I'm not alone in this journey.

I'm happy for you:)

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

I'm so glad the book is helpful. All it is is one person's experience slogging into sobriety--which is such a blessed place to be. Oh, and I used to cry like a river. But not for years and years and years. So keep on stepping, sister, and all will get better and better and better. ANd please free to e-mail me (address is on my blog)if you'd like to talk more directly about stuff.

johno said...

Fab dude, your on your way!! When the student is ready, the teacher appears!! Go girl