Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Third Step Prayer

"God, I offer myself to Thee -- to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

I have been reading this prayer every day for almost 30 and it just has so much more meaning to me now. Relieve me of the bondage of self. May I do Thy will, not just Thy will be done. It is not a passive expression. (light bulb moment!) As an oldtimer (I like the word elder better but that's just me trying to change things:) said in one of my early meetings... "It's like sitting in a garage and waiting to become a car." I think that is what I was expecting when I pray "Thy Will be Done". Not knowing much how to pray, that's what I usually repeat to myself.

I feel armed.

BTW: ( I feel like I am running home from first grade to tell my parents I learned to read :-) My Monday night meeting (notice I said MY) has been looking for a coffeemaker and I had told them last week I could do it (we're supposed to step up, right?) and they were going to vote after the meeting last night. A man spoke up last night and said he really needed and wanted the job. So I backed off and told the chairman I wanted him to have it and she could certainly consider me a backup if he could not come through. (He seems to be struggling). She then asked me if I wanted to be Secretary (last week they said they wanted someone with at least 3 months and I didn't think I was ready to commit to that responsibilty anyway). Yikes, but I am not supposed to say no and they voted me in. So, I am now Secretary of the Monday night group. What are they thinking!!! But it was so pleasing to be accepted and congratulated. I won't be just slinking in and slinking out of the meetings. And guess what else? I am in charge of the member phone number list! Maybe I'll start using them now.

1 comment:

Redhead Gal said...

I needed to read that tonight. Thanks! I've yet to get a job at my home group in ten months worth of meetings. They've only had one business meeting and I offered to do raffle tickets, but since I couldn't be at the meeting physically that day, they didn't vote me in...