Sunday, July 8, 2007

Babysitting

At tonight's meeting the speaker shared how she had her first drink when babysitting. She found some creme de menthe and drank until she got drunk. That was not my first drink. Mine was when I was hanging out with the older boys across the street. I must of been about 14 or maybe 15 and they were drinking whiskey. I don't know how much I drank but I got really drunk. They walked me around the block about 100 times before they let me go home. I guess that was the very beginning. But what hit me tonight was she reminded me of when I babysat for my father's collegue. They entrusted me with their baby. It must have been around the same time as this first drunk. At some point while I babysat, not the very first time but maybe the second, I found their sloe gin. Yuck. But I drank it. I smoked their cigarettes too. Benson & Hedges as I recall. I know I was driven home drunk more than once. My babysitting career did not last long. I wonder why??? Who was I fooling? I had forgotten all about this. Blocked it I think. I did a lot of shit when I was in my teens but I always remembered it as not really hurting anyone but myself (well, my family). I was "experimenting". What an idiot. Thank God nothing happened to that baby.

Anyway, today was a tough one for meetings. I felt really out of place. Not sure why. The morning meeting was at a sober house and we sat outside because they wanted to smoke. I was okay with that but geesh the smoking was getting to me. But the sharing was really important for me to hear. Tonights meeting was a difficult one for many as the funeral for a beloved member was held today. I had thought I might go because this man was important to so many who are becoming important to me. I didn't but it is just as well because I probably would have felt even more uncomfortable.

But I am not drinking. I am working with a woman from the AABC on my steps until I get a real sponser which I may be getting closer to finding. She's terrific. I'm reading the Big Book. Halfway through How it Works. Reading Martha's (Bouncing off the Bottom) book and loving it. A good companion read as I go through the steps. So in that sense it was a good day.

Peace

8 comments:

Kathy Lynne said...

Guess I get the word verification thing now:)

Shadow said...

i've often wondered, when i took that very first experimental drink, knowing my dad was an alcoholic, what the attraction was, why i felt the need to experiment. why not just leave well enough alone... oh well, one never seems to learn from others mistakes, a pity...

Redhead Gal said...

oh my, the babysitting thing...I did it too. Worse, I once took mescaline when I was caring for an infant. Thank the Lord nothing happened...I thought of that stuff when my own kids were little and I would hire a teenage babysitter. Yikes...

You sound so well. I'll catch up with your other posts later.

Kathy Lynne said...

Oh yeah, mescaline. Loved that back in the day. The good old 70's. I was so lucky that I did not get addicted to anything beyond alcohol because I tried it all.

I just sat in a room full of people who are hurting because of a death in their (our, I should say) fellowship. Who says we are only hurting ourselves?

Meg Moran said...

sober funerals are sad, yet strangely happy cuz they died sober..weird.

oh yeah those teenage years. I wonder sometimes how we survived all of that "experimenting" I guess our HP had something in mind for us.

Pammie said...

I was way too selfish to babysit.
It sounds like you are on a positive action taking adventure....that is definitly gonna save your bo-hiney girl!!!
keep doing what you're doing. and keep posting!

Mary Christine said...

Yeah, what Pam said. Keep on doing it, it will become second nature and wonderful. Really.

Judith said...

That's great that you are doing a lot of literature reading and getting familiar with the steps and how it works. And you are trying to find the positive in meetings, even when you aren't entirely comfortable. You have an awesome attitude. It will take you far.

You're doing great. And coming up on 30 days.... :)