Thursday, July 5, 2007

One the Journey To Becoming More Merciful

This strikes home especially given the title of my blog so I had to share it. I'd say fear of Judgment is what kept me away from AA for so long.

written by VICTORIA S. SCHMIDT

We live in a world that thrives on judgment. All one has to do is listen to the media and we see and hear someone sitting in judgment over someone else. Sadly, this demeanor has become inculturated and trickles down into our everyday lives. I have made many mistakes in judging others. I know that I have been quick to judge other people before I even know what is in their heart. Some years ago I judged my brother harshly and it caused a deep hurt in our family. It separated us from the love that we shared for each other. It wasn't until I sought forgiveness that our relationship was restored.I decided some time ago that I needed to put my judge and jury to rest. It lacks true Christian charity to judge a person harshly when we do not know what is truly in their heart. When I'm tempted to bring out my judge and jury I remember the Beatitude that Jesus spoke, "Blest are they who show mercy; mercy shall be theirs." God knows I have struggled to learn this lesson. The amount of mercy we show to others is the mercy that will be shown to us. On my journey toward becoming more merciful I seek a humble heart that allows me to always seek forgiveness and mercy. Mercy toward others and ourselves softens the harshness of life. -----------------------------------------------------------

VICKI SCHMIDT lives in Springfield, Illinois (USA). She has a missionary heart that has been formed by thirty years of missionary work around the world. She currently serves as Director of Theresian World Ministry, an international Catholic women's organization.

4 comments:

Meg Moran said...

Mercy for yourself is a wonderful start. God Bless.

Shadow said...

yip! judging and the fear of being judged is an evil. i was the same. now, frankly, i don't give a hoot who knows i've been to rehab. but it did take a while for me to get there. ultimately what matters is that i did go and that i am bettering myself, no matter what others think.

Pammie said...

Hey...I just noticed that we have the same sober day (June 11th)!!
I love that date...take care of it...it's precious ;)
Funny...but I find it easier to show mercy to others than to myself.

johno said...

Contempt prior to investigation. Stops me doing anything thats Good for me if I let it. And then I run into the danger of being a hypocrite as I self righteously judge others who are doing it. Happy Friday