Saturday, November 8, 2008

Young at Heart



If you haven't seen this movie go see it RIGHT NOW! Just beautiful, funny, heartwarming, poignant and inspirational.

Just came from the ER where my sponsee lies detoxing, again. I won't share what has happened except to say, she has gone to a lower floor on the elevator. I practiced my detachment yesterday...I brought her to the meeting and then said that she could call me when she was placed and someone else took her to the hospital. Her placement didn't work out and so she is back in the ER waiting....for help...I went and I comforted her, I prayed with her, I read her Step 1. Then I left. That was huge for me because I didn't want to really but I had to. For me and for her. She's in God's hands, she just has to realize that. I can do no more to help her with that.

I am leaving the AWOL. It just isn't what I was looking for but what helped me in that decision was attending a Big Book Step Study meeting yesterday morning. Now THAT, was it. In order to participate (speak) in the group you must have gone through the steps with a sponser from that meeting. The read a step from BB, yesterday was just a few paragraphs from Step 4 regarding FEAR. Then they have a speaker. Then they share. Otherwise you listen and let them know where you are in the process. What I was looking for was a deeper understanding of the steps. I've done them as outlined in the Big Book with the guidance of my sponser. I'm in the middle of Step 9 and try to do 10, 11 and 12 every day as well as Step 3 and 7. And my relationship with my sponser is step based and I respect and honor her guidance. This will only make me stronger. I talked to my sponser..she knows my new step study sponser..and endorses my decision. So there you go..I do not feel bad about leaving the AWOL and I am grateful that I can return to my Stepsisters group. What I feel bad about is abandoning my carpool buddy. She's not in my group in the AWOL but we drive back and forth together. I'll go this week to let her know and the faciltators...that will be hard but I think this is the right path for me. And I think I will better be able to guide someone else through the steps by doing it this way.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Kathy Lynne, this is amazing and the miracles taking place in your life, you are taking care of yourself, you are putting your sobriety first...wow!!!
I love my home group, it's a step meeting and we only do one paragraph at a time and the range of sobriety is from months to 30 years so it is amazing to hear. Thank you so much for your blog!

One Prayer Girl said...

Isn't it wonderful that now that we are sober, we can actually make decisions and do what we think is best for us?

It's great when we have a sponsor to discuss our decisions with. I know you have given this a lot of thought and it sounds good.

Good luck on your new choice.

Shadow said...

hey, it's all about what best for you after all.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

I decided to help a repeat failure (relapser) this morning even tho i dont have the time. I am going to try and re-orientate her in !!! double quick time. if it takes too long i will leave it to someone else. It will be an interesting experiment in that I love figuring out what trips them up again! and !! again. I have only spoken to her for an hour or so so far. but i am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I get a kick out of getting people on the straight and narrow. its like a hobby.
but yeah, its far from easy. if they are not willing then no amount of effort will save them.
sorry to hear she is hospital but that's often what happens. its a brutal hard hitting illness. takes no prisoners.
I have a !! stubborn refusal to watch people either drink or die on my 'watch'. I have ? no idea where it comes from but I ! refuse to let that happen. I am willing to get their attention in ANY WAY POSSIBLE to make that happen. So I am totally ! ruthless when I speak to em. Heheh. Its funny because they are !! never used to being spoken to like that. ..makes me laugh..

Syd said...

glad that you were there for her. And I hope that she decides she is willing to go to any lengths this time to stay sober.

I really like step studies. Wish that more groups did them.

Recovery Road London said...

Ouch re sponsee. A new (lower) level? I'll remember her in my prayers. It can be hard to detach.

What is AWOL?

Have a great day!

Michael said...

someone in our AA group has very publically gone back out to do more research, monday last he was taken away by the police for coming to AA tottally our of it with a back pack full of fireworks.
Its so scary to think its all just one drink away.
The thing is about alcoholics is that left to there own devices they will drink

Wait. What? said...

loved the clip.

Cat