Thursday, November 6, 2008

God's Will

Funny how things work...I was just thinking of God's will this morning. Read a post over at Attitude of Gratitute that got me started... and wouldn't you know, received this from a friend via email. Archie posted something that got me to my first meeting..you guys probably already know the mechanic story, but if you don't you can look back here.. and now here he is helping me to understand...these online blogs, groups and relationships have added so much to my recovery...not sure I would be here without it.

It is important for us to listen as well as talk when we pray.

GOD'S WILL

God's will most often happens in spite of us, not because of us.
We may try to second guess what God has in mind for us,
looking, searching, hyper vigilant to seek God's will as though
it were a buried treasure, hidden beyond our reach.
If we find it,we win the prize. But if we're not careful, we miss out.
That's not how it works.
We may believe that we have to walk on eggshells, saying, thinking, and feeling the right thing, while forcing ourselves somehow to be in the right place at the right time to find God'swill.
But that's not true. God's will for us is not hidden like a buried treasure.
We do not have to control or force it.
We do not have to walk oneggshells in order to have it happen.
It is right there inside and around us.
It is happening, right now.
Sometimes, it is quiet and uneventful and
includes the daily disciplines of responsibility and learning to take care of ourselves.
Sometimes, it is healing us when we're in circumstances that trigger
old grieving and unfinished business.
Some times it is grand. We do have a part.
We have responsibilities, including caring for ourselves.
But we do not have to control God's will for us.
We are being taken care of. We are protected.
And the Power caring for and protecting us loves us very much.
If it is a quiet day, trust the stillness.
If it is a day of action, trust the activity.
If it is time to wait, trust the pause.
If it is time to receive that which we have been waiting for,
trust that it will happen clearly and with power, and receive the gift in joy.
Today, I will trust that God's will is happening, as it needs to in my life.
I will not make myself anxious and upset by searching vigorously for God's will,
taking unnecessary actions to control the course of my destiny or
wondering if God's will has passed me by and I have missed it.
A.S.A.P.Always Say A Prayer

9 comments:

Shadow said...

all you bloggers have been a lifeline to me, without whom i'm not so sure the result as of today would be the same...

Pammie said...

thanks, that was excellent.

Syd said...

What a great explanation of God's will. I like the acronym ASAP.

Unknown said...

I love the ASAP too! And thank you so much for this, the online blogosphere of sober bloggers helps me grow and learn each and every day and I am so grateful!!!
g

Michael said...

Hi Kathy, I echo you all that blogging is a fantastic tool in learning to live life sober.
Its been a dark few months in many more ways than one but in the darkness we find growth and growth spiritually is surely our ultimate purpose.
I am just coming out of the dark and could just sing that gloria estafan song!

One Prayer Girl said...

Beautiful post. Thanks!

Sometimes I simplify it into, "If it's happening, it's God's will!"

steveroni said...

Yep Kathy Lynne, I too, feel the same about this blogosharing. I cannot do this day after day--thinking about and writing about Alcoholics Anonymous
--with some great benefit.

Something HAS happened--spiritual awakening?--to me since this past July 1..."as THE result of these.." blogs.

part-of-it-a-roni

Fireman John said...

it's always been a mystery to me,
what god's will might be; what i found was what it certainly wasn't.
that is my former ways of self-centered irresponsibility, and lack of concern for the welfare of others in my life.

Unknown said...

I left you something at my blog and I just cannot thank you enough for the lifelines you give me each day!!!

thank you,
g