Saturday, November 8, 2008

She likes me! She really, really likes me!

Thanks Gabriella.

When I started this blog, I honestly wasn't looking for feedback. I thought of it as an online journal like a diary. The diary I had never been able to write. And then I got a few comments and was helped tremendously. People here directed to me to AA both in their own writings and their suggestions to me. And once in AA I was able to stay sober and discover a new way of looking at and living my life. Almost 17 months now...whew! One thing about having a public journal is that it does temper some of what I write about. Not so much from the other bloggers because I would love to get those comments on issues I have having personnally but more because I don't know who else is reading. And its wierd to have people reading that I know in person. (but don't go away...okay?) But that helps me too because I realize that if I am uncomfortable in any way making something "public" then perhaps that is better information shared with my sponser, as much as I'd like to write about it. Maybe after I discuss it with her is a better time to write about it anyway. Even here in blogland, as much as I am helped by it, it is no replacement for face to face contact with other alcoholics. No replacement for meetings or the relationship that you get from sponsership both ways. And when I started this blog that was my intention. To do it on my own...work out my problems in writing so that I would never have to speak about them, god forbid, to another person. Now, because my AA life is so active, I sometimes fall behind here and don't get to post or read every day. And I am reminded of the blogging with obligation tag on my sidebar. When it becomes an obligation it no longer becomes helpful to me.

That following thingy has also had me thinking...mainly because a few other bloggers wrote about it. I didn't put it up there and I didn't sign up to follow except for a couple when it first came out. I didn't put it up because it's just another complicated thingy to figure out, I didn't want to stroke my already big ego and I know who follows by their comments. And if they don't comment, that's okay too. My primary purpose is to stay sober and help another alcoholic achieve sobriety. I don't necessarily have to hear about it. Maybe they don't want to announce themselves. I didn't sign up because all you have to do is read my sidebar to see who I follow and I try to comment when moved so they know I'm around. It's a give and take community and when I started I know it was more about take but now its more about give to me. I think that's a nice switch.

So I'd like to award this lovely acknowledgement to a few blogs too...

Michael
because he makes me laugh, makes me think (too hard sometimes) and though I can't follow all of his stories and escapades, he has a wonderful heart.

Danny S.
because he challenges and takes no prisoners, and because years ago when I first started thinking i had a problem he was a contributor to one of the yahoo groups I lurked on...and now thanks to Molly I found him in blogland.

Irish Friend
because she is the sponser of all sponsers. Her blog is a wonderful resource when I can't find my sponser and she's helped me to stay sober.

Molly
because I know in "real" life, we'd hang out and drink tea.

Fireman John
because although I don't always agree with him, I learn from him.

Banana Girl
because I find her inspiring and I aspire to become a Sober Woman of God.

The rest of you already got one so don't think you're being left out...xo

5 comments:

Fireman John said...

wow, i am honored to make that list!
glad that we can learn from other .

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Thanks Kathy!
That's very kind of you. :) Well I always enjoy reading what you have to say too. I find the accounts of kindnesses and coincidences you encounter heartwarming, inspirational and spooky. In a good way :)
Well my blog has packed in when it comes to adding more widgets so gawd knows how I'll use it, but thanks all the same.

I have to head off in the dark, drizzle and wind :( across town, past st pauls and south of the river, and I am grateful for the opportunity to delay that trip by only a few minutes by commenting. :)
Anyway as you know by now it truly does warm the heart to see others get well, and I for one have found it at total pleasure seeing how you have progressed in such a short time. Amazing really. It always helps me when I see the programme working in others, so thank you for your example :)
And thanks for the blog. You already seem to be helping so many people! Amazing ! isnt it? What a different woman you have become!

Unknown said...

Awesome post!!! Wow, and great blogs to read too, thank you!!! I have found so much inspiration and care in your blog and your journey and thank you greatly!!!
Hugs,
GM

Just Another Sober Guy said...

Very cool and a great post, nice list too!

Good to meet ya!

PEACE

molly said...

hi my tea friend.. you are sooo freagin sweet i swear it. what a nice thing to see upon my return! thank you for including me in a list of such inspiring peeps!

i feel we have been walking hand in hand since the beginning - we have close sober dates and so i feel particularly close to you b/c of that, among other things.

i love ya and am so glad you are in my life.