Thursday, April 3, 2008

Regrets, I've had a Few

I was sitting on my swing yesterday and thinking about how blessed I feel now, how my life is so rich and full of possiblities. I am content. My family relationships are improving, I have new relationships that are meaningful, and my life is satisfying. I am able to tolerate my worklife right now because I know there is a way out. We are moving in different directions and I can use that as my exit strategy. I could even stay on to help in the transition as long as I am able. Didn't even think of that before. Of course I do need another job to go to but that's a mere detail!! I have a vision. The promises in the Big Book really are coming true for me and I know I have much more work to do on the steps but that no longer scares me because I am already feeling the results and because I know my Higher Power is with me. Things are just good and that is because I'm sober and have God in my life.

But I couldn't help but feel a bit of sadness and regret of how much of life I have missed. It's so good now, and I missed all that time. Of what could have been... You know what I mean? I look at the young people in the rooms and think, how lucky they are that if they get "it" now in their life, how much more of life they can enjoy and be a part of. I know, I know, you oldtimers are ringing in my head. That is why we stay in the day, the moment. In my fifth step I did let go of this stuff. I'm not holding onto any resentments. But the could have beens come back every now and again. "I coulda been a contenda". I guess I just regret that for half my life I didn't even know what it was. But I have this sneaking suspsician (I absolutely cannot spell that word!) that when I start making my amends some of this will be resolved. Perhaps this is a gentle nudge in that direction.
But I will stay in the moment for today. Enjoy the fruits...I had a banana for breakfast.

6 comments:

Syd said...

Each of us has a past. And there is bound to be pain no matter what "condition" we have. Letting go of the past and just living in this day is the best thing that I can do.

johno said...

Loving your reflecting today :)
I get reminded of my spiritual pride at times, ie I should have known better, if only I had done it different or sooner...

Nah, If I could have done better at the time, I would have. Truth is I couldnt so I didnt.

Now I know better I can do better.
Ideals are great to work towards... in Gods time not mine.

Ideals and perfection are not sticks to beat myself with when I dont acheive it..in my time or do a near miss!

Jeez where did that all come from? Thanks for your post, you made me give myself a good talking to!

Glad you can feel the promises coming through in all areas. Its an amazing programme isnt it. Keep going, it gets better.

Loving your progress and your posts. As for your make up your wearing in that picture... do you wear it like that all the time?

xx

Anonymous said...

I had a banana too. And I know right where you are coming from. I am going to be 46 in a few days, and I think, man, where did the time go? But if I was still drinking, I don't think I would be here right now. If I came into the rooms before I was ready, I probably would not have "got" it or even wanted it. So, yeh, I understand, I guess time marches on as they say, so right now, I am going to make the most of what I have left.

Shadow said...

our past is what shapes our today and tomorrow. hindsight is always 20/20. and like you say, enjoy the now, we should! banana huh? heee heee heee

Michael said...

Hey yes it would be nice if Micky came out of the clouds to speak to us mere mortals in human terms for a change wouldnt it!
Oh I have thought much about that Kathy, how my past could have been so different IF IF...
but its what we gotta learn to accept who we are now, someone once said we only learn in the dark times and that is what our past drinking were deep dark learning experiences so we could emerge metamorphosised into better people in order to help others do the same

molly said...

all of it happened to bring u where u are today. "suffering" i've heard is a wonderful spiritual teacher. u are able to help me and others today b/c of the past. You sounding so very good my friend and i love that. i'm so happy for you.