Saturday, April 12, 2008

Procrastination

Procrastination is a five sylable word for sloth. I remember reading that in the 12 x 12 and making a connection. I have a dining room table that is covered with papers. I've got to balance my checkbook, balance my mother's checkbook and pay her bills, file my taxes as well as my daughter and son's, put my mother's stuff together to give to the accountant for her taxes (which I'm sure they will not be happy about that I will hand to them one day before the deadline), file for financial aid which I can't do until I do my taxes (and I have until May 1 to do that but please God make me do it this weekend!) and I'm sure there is more stuff on that table. I can't say sloth necessarily has put me in this position to having to do it all this weekend because I've been busy......avoiding the dining room table. I'm sure I'm not alone in this as it is the last weekend before the big April 15th date. My husband just walked in as I was typing this and asked if I was working on the table....I had to tell him that I was writing about the table, LOL, but as soon as I'm done I'll work on the table and now he is laughing because I took a picture of the table. He is going to help this year though its tough because we just have the one computer so we can't both do it at the same time. But a step in the right direction is that I am allowing him to help. In the past I much preferred to play the martyr and do it all myself. And then complain and stomp my feet about it. And then drink.
So I guess I'll stop writing about it and as tempted as I am I won't write about all the things I did to avoid the table. They were productive, helpful to my sobriety, helpful to others sobriety and more. But even more helpful to my sobriety will be clearing off that table!!
xo....BTW 10 MONTHS YESTERDAY!! but I'll keep coming because I think it is fairly obvious that I need to.

8 comments:

molly said...

on a POSITIVE note I DO see some open spaces on that table girl. i related to the sloth thing when i read it too. PAIN AVOIDANCE is another word.. in Scott Peck's book The Road Less Traveled he calls it inability to delay gratification (or something like that).

when i saw the title I was like - "are we on the same cosmic page or WHAT!"..

just grab one pile at a time. Thich Nhat Hanh would call it Tax Meditation.. and he'd said "do it mindfully"... he makes everything a meditation somehow. hehee

Pammie said...

Well, how about a nice flowery printed sheet spread neatly over the table and it contents....then poof like magic it's not really there! Just a suggestion.
I have a big empty box sitting in my entry way, I don't know why I can't carry it out to the trash, it's been there for over a week. I've learned if I put my hands on either side of my face (like a horse with blinders on) then I don't see it....and poof there's that magic again.

Shadow said...

congratulations on your 10 months! wonderfull!!!!!

good luck with the stuff on that table...

Unknown said...

SATAN'S MESSENGER!

Unknown said...

SHAPE-SHIFTING REPTILE!

Kathy Lynne said...

I allowed these 2 of about 6 comments from our friend through. Not very Christ-like of him. Don't think Jesus was running around calling people evil names and such. But we are all children of God and it seems that Mickey has not yet felt God's presence because if you have, these are not the kinds of things that you would say or do. We are the manifestation of God and this is not the behaviour that would lead one there. So please pray for Mickey. That is what I will do.

Syd said...

Congrats on 10 months. The dining room table is roomy and a good place to work. I used to paint on ours when I was a kid.

johno said...

eventually the paperwork needs doing and not shuffling... well done on all your progress x