Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Albuquerque, NM

So this is what I want for my big 5-0 coming up. At first I thought a dog. As I approach the empty nest I am longing more and more for that kind of unconditional love. And I still want a dog but there is a 12 step Centering Prayer retreat in Albuquerque and Father Keating is going to be a speaker. He's getting up there in age and who knows how long he'll be available to speak. I feel like a groupie, like following Bono around. But I have been so moved and inspired by this connection that I would love to pursue it further with the source himself. Well, not that Source, I do that everyday , but our earthly source, Father Keating. The other priest who led our recent retreat will also be there as will some of the other facillitators. It just is such a great opportunity.


So rather than go to Vegas and whoop it up like my girlfriend wants to do, or get some big piece of jewelry or expensive dinner, I would like to do this. Learn more, live more, pray more. So then there's the money. But I am sure I can rationalize that.....no big presents.....scrimp for a month....I'd love it for my husband to come but then there's that expense. Plus he doesn't want to explore Centering Prayer, he wants to rent a bike as in Hog and roam the country. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but it is more money. I said if he wanted this trip for his birthday we could really rationalize the whole thing. I'm good at rationalizing. Been doing it all my life why not turn that defect into something positive. Another woman from the retreat is also thinking about it. We'll see. I'm not going to project too, too much but things like this do take planning.

In the meantime I'll just look at the picture. It looks beautiful and I've never been to that part of the country. Another good reason to go.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be a wonderful birthday gift for your 50th. I should join you because this is a big year for me my 40th. Then we can take the guys and they can ride their hogs while we pray..lol

See you Friday.

Maura

Syd said...

Why not? It's your birthday and it's what you want to do. I hope that you go and have a wonderful time.

Shadow said...

why not realize something you really want for your birthday... go for it!

Pammie said...

girl I'm with you....I can rationalize anything. But you don't need to do that on this. It's your birthday it's OK to give yourself the gift you want. I think it sounds fabulous.

Michael said...

Hey its my 39th birthday tommorow, 10th April, I have had a wonderful week so far, as you will read in my post.
Sounds good stuff Kathy, I am not as much that way religeous but I like to have my own ideas.
Hey did you go through redundancy drinking as well, awful isnt it