Thursday, April 24, 2008

College Visits

We had a nice day yesterday. Took my son to visit 2 schools in Boston and then visited my daughter who also gave him a mini tour. I had a long talk with my therapist about my son this week. He never talks to me and in his eyes I am usually intruding and/or stupid. Embarassing him. We talked about the kind of year he has had and the fact that he's probably pretty angry. Not to mention the underlying feelings having a drunk Mom can bring. I need to give him space. He will come around. Developmentally he is where he should be and I can only pray that my actions today will help him deal with my actions of yesterday. I think the day of college visits helped. I tried really hard to give him the independence to listen and observe and I tried not to be pushy. Asking him questions about what he liked or disliked. He doesn't like that. And this is just the beginning of the process. Did get him to smile and share a few times which is good. Like I said to him, I work my ass off to get one of those smiles. Usually I just annoy him but every now and then I get a smile and its all worth it. I think he understood. My husband and I managed to get along very well with the exception of him getting ticked off about missing a turn. But I managed to stay calm throughout. Huge progress.

5 comments:

Fireman John said...

your best amends for past behavior,
are not said, but proven in your continued recovery.
J

Syd said...

Maybe the smiles will become more frequent. It's a tough age. Hang in there.

Michael said...

Hello,
Yes I get funny looks off Luke even now, he says my drunken antics of the past have certainly taught him that he dont wanna drink when he getts of age.
I had to take JMD on Monday, my loyalties must lie with the steps and I must do my HPs bidding not my own.
I would love to live happily ever after with veras

Ordinary Mom said...

I am new to the blogging world and have just happened to stumble upon your page. Very good reading! I am also a paralegal. My mother is a recovering alcoholic so your blog is very interesting to read. thank you!

Shadow said...

he'll soon realise you're a changed person, don't you worry!!!