Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Truthful


I got one of those emails from a friend where you reply in one word with one adjective to describe them. Truthful was her one word description of me. Took me by suprise. I certainly strive to be truthful and now that I am sober I am closer. When I was drinking I claimed to be an honest person. But I was full of lies. Mostly to myself but to others as well. I did alot of truth dodging. Hedging my words, dancing around a subject, avoiding people, places and things so that I could claim to be honest. Building myself up to feel better. Twisting words and actions. It was hard work but I'm a paralegal and a smart woman. I am good at manipulating and convincing people to my way of thinking and that I am right. One definition of truth I found was "sincerity in action, character, and utterance." That is my goal.


I definately learnd something at the roundup. Was discussing Thanksgiving with my mother. We are going to my brother's this year in NYC. It will be tight. 8+ of us in their small apartment but it will be fun and I won't have to cook. We'll stay through the weekend to attend a college hockey game my daughter wanted to see. I asked my mother if she wanted to go as well and she hemmed and hawed and said that we would have a better time without her. And she's right. But the truth of the matter is she doesn't want to go and she can't say that because that's not how a mother is supposed to feel. We have been playing this game all my life. So I didn't let her get away with it. I dodged the guilt ball. We went back and forth and I turned it around and said, Mom, that is not acceptable and you will have to state the real reason: you would rather not go. It's perfectly acceptable. And she did, said she wouldn't feel comfortable. Doesn't like to leave her home for more than 2 hours or so. She likes her routine and does not like disruption to it. So there you have it. Now, instead of feeling guilty for not bringing her to NYC I can feel guilty for going at all:) But at least I know that she is happier where she is, even if I were having Thanksgiving, she'd come for the meal but is not really enjoying the communing with family. I am not going to have this conversation with her again until right before we leave. She didn't write it down so she won't remember. She only has about a 3-5 minute short term memory due to Korsakoff's syndrome. Long story and I'm pretty sure I wrote about it previously.


Anyway, I am grateful that I got rid of that guilt. Now, on to the rest of it........


2 comments:

Shadow said...

if only we could all just say what we mean, instead of saying something we THINK others want to hear... it complicated life unneccessarily...

Syd said...

My sponsor has told me "Screw guilt". It is a useless emotion but one that can sneak up on me.