Thursday, October 18, 2007

Responsibility


I just got this quote for the day from Hazelden and boy oh boy is it me and I have a tough time reconciling Letting Go with August Wilson's quote pictured because that feeling of things being utterly and singulary my responsiblity follows me everywhere:

"Some of us have an insatiable desire to do something about every situation that occurs in our lives. We fret about this, we rush into that, and we push our confused minds to the edge of despair. Weary from our relentless struggling, we become short-tempered, highly critical, and completely irrational. Little things become big things. Everything in our lives becomes too much for us.When this happens, we need to ‘Let Go," of our false pride, and admit that we alone cannot understand or solve our present difficulties. Only when we have the humility to admit our limitations can we receive the help we need.Letting go of our false pride, however, is merely the first step. We also need to "Let God" take a hand in our affairs. When we give our burdens to God expecting God's help our problems often solve themselves without our ever making any conscious effort. Leaving our troubles with God frees our minds to receive new perspectives which we could not receive while we were busily clutching our sorrows and frustrations to us. Today, I will ask for God's guidance and help in every area of my life. I will not try to solve all my difficulties at once. I am not expected to handle more than my share. I will work on one or two things and leave the rest to God. "

From the book: The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes. Copyright 1981 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the written permission of Hazelden.
To sign up for Today's Gift, visit:http://www.hazelden.org/register

And not only do I take on my own problems singlehandedly, I take on others as well. As soon as someone tells me about a situation in their lives, I assume they want me to solve the problem. Or if I see or hear about something I assume it is my responsibilty to fix it. ME, ME, ME! Even in AA at meetings, it would be very easy for me to become the coffeemaker, Secretary, District Rep. , etc. name a job and I'll do it, at every meeting. It is very hard for me to say no. And I perceive I am saying no even when I am not asked directly. If I don't jump up to volunteer, then I'm turning something down. When complaints are made about something a group is not doing, I assume it is now my responsibilty to do it. I take everything personally. I ALWAYS take on more than my share. Overachiever. Thank God for my sponser. She has slowed me down, told me that I do enough AA jobs. So now I feel better about that. But I still need to work on the rest of life. Geez!

7 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

The augut wilson quote seems a bit harsh in the reading, even though I am an advocate of peronal responsibiity. the tone just seems a bit unforgiving.

"When we give our burdens to God expecting God's help our problems often solve themselves without our ever making any conscious effort. Leaving our troubles with God frees our minds to receive new perspectives which we could not receive while we were busily clutching our sorrows and frustrations to us. Today, I will ask for God's guidance and help in every area of my life. I will not try to solve all my difficulties at once. I am not expected to handle more than my share. I will work on one or two things and leave the rest to God. "

Yes I need to hear that today, as I have a mountain of stuff to do. reminds me of the monks and nuns. they never hurry, but they get everything done. yep.
Anyway. have a great day there miss KL. and i love the BWO link!! Thanks for sharing that!

Pammie said...

girl, it took me years to learn that the Planet Earth is not waiting for me to solve everything for everyone. And yes, slowing down was the 1st step for me. It's quite easy now, for me to let other people have their own set of problems, without feeling like I have to jump in and help. Just letting you know that I HEAR YOU.

Michael said...

It is so easy to blame others isnt it, The Government have got to be a favourite, I am foever cursing them for the price of fuel and for the state of the roads.
However I got to sit back and think like my dad sometimes says, if the UK is so bad why is it that we got so many people trying to get into this country, you look on your TV screen and see what other countrys are like and maybe I should count my blessings that I am sat in a traffic jam on the M62.
I am aware of this defect but it doesnt stop me from keeping on acting it out!
Buttercup was well aware of me in my drinking days when we would go off with Luke on these exciting adventures which usually resulted in me falling asleep somewhere and her having to go home to fetch grandma on her own after dark.
She was there when I threw in the towel and admitted step 1 on that final Holiday back in 2004 anyway I better get back to work now

Syd said...

I can only be responsible for my actions, not anything else. If I say I'm going to do something, then I need to do it and not wait for someone else to step up. But I'm also not responsible for anyone's else's mess that they make.

molly said...

OH LORD girl - are we on the same page or WHAT?? We may be long lost sisters or something.. you are freakin me out (not really) but you know what I mean. I didn't even read your whole post before I was like "oh god - I could have written this".. ANYHOO - just letting you know that I "get" what you are saying girlfriend!!! So glad you are here :)

Shadow said...

for me it's very mood dependant when it come to taking on things. sometimes i can leave things be as they should, and on other day's it feels like everything is mine to sort and correct. i have fortunately shrugged off taking on too much. easy does it...

Michael said...

Hi
I got in trouble yesterday with my boss so I had to stop short with my comment to you, he said I am always "writing my memoirs", which well aint true is it, and anyway what else do you do in my job, at my despatch desk I get tons of time to think.
You just posted "Thats not right" did you get broke off and get back to work because me being an alkie was left wondering "Whats not right?"
Anyway weekend is here again and no messages from the dating site though I did send about ten last night.
Luke will be here again tonight and we will stop off at the chinese on way home, time to be a kid again!!!
see u on monday