Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The girls


I just had an awesome weekend. My girlfriends treated me to a weekend at a lakehouse to celebrate my upcoming big 5-0. Two of them paint for the woman who owns the house so they got it for free. The girls provided all the food. All I had to bring was my kayak, my books and my soda pop! Might I recommend Izze Sparkling Fruit Juice. My favorites are grapefruit and blackberry. Anyway, despite a forecast for rain and clouds we had a beautiful sun filled weekend. Went out on the lake a lot, got my first massage (one of them is a massage therapist and Reiki master) and had some great conversations and of course lots of food. They got me a beautiful silver charm bracelet from Tiffany's as well as a gift certificate to our favorite book store. They know me so well and I was so deeply touched by their acknowledgements. Honestly, it wasn't until now that I could appreciate these friendships and I have been friend with these women for over 10 years. They have been so supportive this last year. I thought these were girls I would have to leave behind because I did a lot of my drinking with them. e all worked in a bar together while raising our kids and when we left we continued on the tradition in a book club as well as socially. What I found out was that they were not drinking like I did so that when I stopped, it opened up our relationships on a deeper level. I always felt like I didn't belong...that they were just tolerating me. That they didn't really like me. What I found out was that my drinking created a huge block to any meaningful relationship. It wasn't them, it was me. One of the girls is probably also an alcoholic. Untreated. She's been to AA a few years ago as a result of a DUI but she never surrendered. I am grateful that I can show her through example how this program works. I had to explain to the others that we work on attraction not promotion but I did leave my Big Book laying around the house just in case.


The massage was a less relaxing than I suspect its supposed to be. I am just too self conscious of my big fat body to let go. Plus I kept waiting to pass wind....thank God I didn't. I felt bad that I couldn't enjoy it more because it was such a thoughtful gift given with the best intentions.


Anyway it was fantastic. Got home and took yesterday off not to recover from a hangover but to catch up on some things at home and get a mental health day from the boss. Of course here I am blogging on his time...but its the only way I can get through the day and give him some quality time. Or am I rationalizing a defect of charachter. I'm not going there, this was a postive post and I'm sticking to it......xo

4 comments:

Syd said...

Good for you. You sound good. And a massage sounds great.

Shadow said...

that's sounds like a perfect weekend. glad you enjoyed it. and your friends... you are lucky to have them...

Judith said...

Isn't it great when our relationship with those who are true friends from when we were drinkers become even richer because we are no longer drinking?

Happy birthday, btw!

molly said...

sounds LOVELY! I never could relax with the massage stuff - not sure why. it's like it is supposed to be so WONDERFUL! but yea - not so much when it is happening for me. so i'm "with ya" on that note. when is the actually 5-0 day??