Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My posse

For quite some time now I have been giving rides to a few girls on a regular basis. It was one way I found that I could be of service very early one. One woman celebrated her year when I celebrated my 30 days and we bonded over that. She needed rides because she didn't have a car and had a huge fear of driving. Over this past year I have seen her get a job, move to a new house, grow spiritually and now finally she got a car and she is driving. It's huge for her. I also give rides to a few girls from a local sober house. Same thing, both of them have gotten jobs and one now has her car and license back and the other girl has her car but is learning to drive stick shift. I miss them. They don't need me anymore....We had some good meetings in my car and good heart to hearts. I am so grateful for the relationships I have built with them and though I miss them, I am now getting to know them on a completely different level. And they have no idea how much they helped me...even though I moaned and groaned sometimes about going out of my way or wanting to sleep in, they got me to meetings I wouldn't have gone to otherwise, would have pulled up the sheets over my head. And hearing their problems and helping them through them has helped me through mine. I feel like I do when I watch my daughter thrive in her freshman year at college. My girls are growing up and I am so grateful to have been a small part of it.

7 comments:

Fireman John said...

Amazing how service helps us as much as others!

Shadow said...

the things we complain about and then miss when they're gone. i've actually thought a lot about that lately. causing me to think twice before complaining and wondering if i'd miss it if it were gone. and if i think i MIGHT, i now shut up and don't complain about it...

Michael said...

Yes Kathy,
I look back at the past and see Luke as a little boy, how I had a great idea of towing up the hill on his bike and me on mine and he fell off, when I went back he said "stupid daddy der, how come its always me ending up on the floor", you look back and laugh with a lump in your throat.
I take JMD to the meeting and hes really beggining to change, its a mirracle to watch.
you get out of life what u put in, that is the point isnt it!

Patricia Marie said...

It is amazing how things work.

Syd said...

Giving it away and getting more back--it's a great example of how the program works. Thanks for sharing this today.

Anonymous said...

Fellowhip and service somehow go together so well - love this!

Shadow said...

happy mother's day kathy! and happy anniversary!