Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Obsession

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery. " (The Doctor's Opinion)

Why was the obsession lifted for me? How did that happen? What makes me different from my friend who died? What makes me different from the chronic relapsers I see so much of in the rooms? What makes me different from that new person who no longer wants to suffer the consequences of their drinking?

In the 9 years before I got sober, I watched as my mother drank herself into oblivian. She did not die a physical death but she is lost to me. I watched my uncle die on his bathroom floor where he lay for weeks before being found. And I struggled with my own drinking. "The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death." (pg 30) I did not, no way, no how want to be like them but I was becoming more and more. I could not think of a life without alcohol. I could not get through the day without alcohol. I tried over and over again to stop. I will not drink today. I will not drink ever again. I am done. This is it. Over and over...day in and day out..week in and week out...month in and month out..year in and year out. And once I took that drink I had no power over how much I drank. I'll just have one. I only want one. Let me have a just a sip. Okay two then.......till it was the morning and I had no idea how this happened...again. "they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence." (The Doctor's Opinion).

I cannot even articulate how grateful I am that I did not have to come to the gates of insanity or death as my uncle and mother did. That even though I came to Alcoholics Annonymous with perhaps the hopes that I would find out that I was not an alcoholic, not like them..I was not dead or dying.., that instead I found out that I had a physical and mental disease (not something caused by my own weakness and moral choices) and that there was a solution, a way to recover and that it was outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Annonymous and it wasn't as simple as my willpower..I will not drink. When I heard this, read this I felt relief almost immediately. Or should I say when I understood this. The things I heard in meetings definately helped me not to drink....calling people, go to meetings, H.A.L.T. (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired), one day at a time, listen (take the cotton out of your ears and put into your mouth), etc. But none of those things removed the obsession to drink and the resulting craving once I started to drink. They are all really good things..really helpful things...and I have seen those things help people not to drink for years. I cannot say however that I have seen those things remove the obsession for anyone. And they certainly were not enough for me. The most helpful thing I heard in meetings was that I needed to work the 12 steps in order to recover. All that other stuff would help me not to drink for a day..but to recover....I had to do the work..the steps.

I did not want to take any chances. And mind you this was not a conscious decision on my part. I could not, not drink. Like I said..those suggestions helped...but I still wanted to drink. I wanted a drink...please. So when I heard the word recover...my ears perked up. I listened. And I began to understand with the help of my sponser and others in the rooms who answered my questions, sometimes before they were even asked. When I got to AA, I knew my life was unmanageable...and that I was powerless over alcohol..my life had proven that....I just needed confirmation and I got it. Identification I think they call it. Then I heard I had to come to believe. In what? So I listened yet again. I read the book..Came to Believe along with the Big Book. And I heard God of my understanding. And I understood that I did not understand. And it happened. I came to believe...at some point here..I had a moment...ironing...when a sudden overwhelming feeling came over me that it was going to be okay. Why? I have no idea..but I accepted the feeling. I did not have to define it anymore..it was just there.

And as I progressed through the steps somewhere along the line the obsession to drink was lifted and removed. I don't think about it anymore...yes, if it's in my face..I may romance it..wish it were different..must be nice.....but it passes and its gone. It just doesn't bother me anymore. I am at peace about alchohol. Now... lots of other things do bother me and that's why I have to keep moving forward. And I have to be vigilant about this because these are the underlying causes and conditions that fed my disease. Resentments, fears, selfcenteredness and the like...these things did not cause me to become an alcoholic....lots of people have these same charachter defects and are not alcoholics...like my husband for instance:)...but what they did was feed my alcoholism...drove me to seek that effect I found from alcohol and then the resulting obsession and craving. Crazy isn't it? Something has clicked.

8 comments:

Shadow said...

thank you for this post. absolutely brilliantly insightful!

RipGurl said...

Wow! Thank you Kathy. I needed to hear that....

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Yes yes yes, you nailed it for me... This is the case with me....

Thanks for sharing this in just the right way to reflect Light to me and others like "us"...

"We" are.... and it's grand to be Sober and have experienced the miraculous promises!

molly said...

great post.

Anonymous said...

The Trudge Report :

Syd said...

Thanks Kathy Lynne. This is a good post for me to read. It helps to increase my understanding of the disease. Even though I'm not alcoholic, I still have the thinking disease and the character defects.

Banana Girl said...

Sistah! You nailed it! Yes it has clicked and it is wonderful. Your newly realized though long known resolve has found its voice and it is singing! Love this post. J

Pammie said...

Excellent!
Excellent Post darlin'.