Friday, March 7, 2008

Yet again she helps me: "I find it is easy to give a plate of rice to a hungry person, to furnish a bed to a person who has no bed, but to console or to remove bitterness, anger and lonliness that comes from being spiritually deprived, that takes a long time."

We had a situation after our morning group yesterday. A man who supposedly had longterm sobriety, who claimed spiritual fitenss and Christian values became agressive with another man from the group after the meeting. As I was driving away, it became violent and I felt myslef driving my car to the brink of where they were sparring, sounding my horn and slamming the brakes. Myself and the two other women in the car broke up the fight and called the police. I stood between the 2 men mainly to stop one from hitting the other, (kept my back to the agressor) and facing the other trying to get him to walk away...I felt no fear, in fact I felt at peace. In looking back I honestly feel that God was with me. There was no thinking
involved. There was noone else there to stop this agressive action. I am grateful I had the opportunity to stop this but at the same time, on the next day I am filled with both anxiety and a bit of anger. Anxiety because the agressive person was in the meeting this morning. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Right? I understand now, that he is a sick and suffering alcoholic, and that what he shares in meetings is not necessarily the truth but I am really grappling with the feeling of betrayal. Obviously he cannot share what he has not got. As someone who is just learning to speak my truth, who is dependent upon the honesty of my fellows because I count on their experience to help me stay sober, I have a bit of anger at realizing this guy has been full of sh*t. He has not been speaking his truth. He has not been sober. He has been lieing. He has been using the principles AGAINST personalities.
I became overwhelmed at the meeting this morning. I did not feel safe. Probably feelings that I had held in from yesterday. I am not resentful just saddened and fearful. I don't want to be cynical or distrusting. But at the same time, I need to protect myself. Not physically, but emotionally. I am anxious to hear how those of you with longterm sobriety see this and how you understand the traditions in handling this situation. The group will be having a group consciousness meeting tomorrow to discuss the matter. Some of the men in the group were going to try to do a 12th step on the agressor and try to get him to a detox. In the brief discussion we had after the meeting today, I expressed my concern regarding Tradition 3. But I was also reminded of Tradition 1, regarding our COMMON welfare. I began to feel safe again. Thank God for the traditions. I know the group will make a decision as to what is best, I Know AA has provided an outline of suggestions as to how to handle situations such as these, I know that there are people in that group I CAN trust and therefore I will continue to feel safe. I UNDERSTAND that sick and suffering alcoholics are just that, sick and suffering and that my sobriety depends upon helping them.
After the altercation yesterday, the other man was taken to the hospital. As I drove to work, I realized that noone really knew that he was there and that he may need a ride back to his car. So, again, I was guided to the hospital. I spent time with him in the ER while they tried to determine his injuries. His head had been slammed to the pavement. He is not someone I would have ever talked to after the meeting. We prayed and discussed how AA has changed our lives. He kept saying what a wonderful experience this was. He held no malice to the person who had done this. He tried to understand it as did I. Noone else ever came. He did not need a ride back as they admitted him because of dizzieness and hearing loss so I was able to leave and share with others who are his friends so that they can follow up with him. I understand people have been calling him and checking in so I feel my work is done. He spent the night in ICU. This has been a very enlightening experience but I must really say that I truly felt my Higher Power at work and I am very thankful for His care and protection.

8 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Ah bless. Good for you for trying to help.
Yeah there are plenty of nutcases in aa, but safety for me comes from sticking with (what I consider to be) the winners, and 'having a sincere desire to help' as opposed to giving in to my desires for petty revenge and punishment. Putting spiritual principles ahead of weak and very personal 'personalities'.
you kept on the firing line of life 'with these motives' and you WERE taken care of. that is how i have found it to work . i do the right things (even when I have a destructive urge to do the opposite) and the right things happen. that's it really.

http://anon-recovery-archive.blogspot.com/2006/11/sticking-with-winners.html

Sticking with the Winners

all sounds good. but re reassured that disillusionment is part of ANY spiritual path. you HAVE to learn to deal with it constructively, or else you will throw the baby out with the bathwater. its a tough lesson. but a necessary one.
concentrate on the people who have what you want. not the people who you do NOT want to emulate.
Let it be a lesson in being very DISCRIMINATING in your choice of aa contemporaries

The more you think about the solution the bigger the solution gets. The more you think about the problem, the bigger the problem gets.
Have a restful Sunday!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

oh yeah. for bad/hostile vibes in meetings i use the green tara manta while visualizing her at the same time

The Green Tara Mantra

http://anon-recovery-archive.blogspot.com/2006/07/step-11-protection-green-tara-mantra.html

Jenn said...

What a hard situation Kathy. You did a great thing, going to visit him in the hospital.

You are doing very well on your journey. Your a very strong woman.

Shadow said...

i think you've got a perfect example of spiritually deprivation here!

Syd said...

You reached out to another and that's a great thing. I'm glad that you stepped in to stop the fight and that you showed how much you care.

Michael said...

We have never so far had any fights at my home meeting but i did hear about one nearer town, Its an awful shock isnt it when you find that someone you thought was a tibbetan monk was really a common bully.
A lot of people are good at talking the aa talk but I reckon its a lot of the quieter ones who are walking the walk

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/munin.php

these are nice to have on your ipod. i find em full of practical advice as to how to get the balance right when trying ! t practice spiritual principles. very calming!

hope you are having a nice wednesday!

Michael said...

Hey thats a great idea, kathy, ill take JMD on FRiday, I was wrong and I admit it, I have prayed to my HP a lot just lately because I feel up and down like a yoyo, im finding it hard to focus on anything.
Last night I didnt get a minute from arriving home to going to bed what with some new furnature arriving which i had to put in place, taking my mum shopping, tidying up after and dogs, still ill get some peace tonight and a nice bath