Monday, March 31, 2008

On the Beam

My 11th Step & Centering Prayer retreat was probably one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. Very personal yet with a group of committed people, mostly alcoholics but a few other 12 step programs as well. And of course the 4 other women from the meetings I attend whose friendship I cherish and our bond is now stronger than ever. Our plan is to start our own prayer group and possibly even an 11th step meeting as there are none in our area. I feel my relationship with my Higher Power has been strengthend and my ability to practice my newfound faith has been formed. I was able to consult with a priest and even though I haven't had too high opinion of priests and religion in general, I'm ready to follow this guy anywhere. Sharing in the Eucharist was emotional. He was wonderful. Sadly for me his ministry is strictly retreat work so he no longer has a parish. If I'm going to follow I'll have a lot of traveling to do. You know, I have been praying throughout this nine 1/2 months even when I didn't understand what that meant and when it clicked and I did Come to Believe, I felt awkward getting on my knees and never really felt the need to. This was not something that came naturally to me or something I grew up with. But I did this weekend. And FOR ME, Centering Prayer is yet another way to pray and meditate at the same time. Truly transforming and here I am at work dealing with the same situation but so much more at peace with it. Crazy stuff. If you're interested you can go to http://www.contemplativeoutreach.org/ to learn more. Keep in mind, as explained in our retreat, that because the founder of this outreach program is a Catholic monk he is coming at this from his unique prospective. But from a 12 step prospective it works just as well. But you may have to do a bit of translating for your own Higher Power. Just as some of us need to do with the Big Book as written in the 30's but a bunch of men. Different world, same principles. Same here, different faith, same principles.


Speaking of crazy stuff, as I was packing to leave, I was going through the drawers of the desk to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. I didn't use the drawers but just in case, I checked anyway. And what do I find in the top desk drawer??? A nip of Jim Beam!! I slammed the drawer shut! Recoiled as if from a hot flame. Yes the Big Book really is How it Works. I was going to leave it there but my first thought was what if they thought is was mine, LOL!! Didn't want that. Then once I got over my own selfish thoughts I thought, what about the next person who gets this room? What if they are struggling and can't recoil?? So I simply threw it away. Grateful I didn't check the drawers when I got there. Yipes! What a thing to find at a recovery retreat. The prior night at our meeting the speaker had shared that her last drunk was during a prayer (not recovery)retreat. She had been sober but not really working a program. She had accidently drunk a sip of the wine during the Eucharist and promptly went across the street to the liquor store. I told her what I had found and said had that been then, you wouldn't have had to go across the street. So anyway, a bit frightening but good experience. I did not feel tempted in the least. Thank God. Not sure if that quite topped the used men''s underwear another woman found upon checkin. Could have been a problem for the sex addicts in attendence. Maybe from a previous retreat?? Anyway, doesn't look like the monks are so good an cleaning up.....

7 comments:

molly said...

why do I NOT want to know HOW we KNOW the men's underwear were USED!!!??????? oh my lands! too funny.

after checking in a hotel on business once I got into the bed and found a very large man toenail in there with me. GROSSSSSSSSSS!! So I put it in a napkin and took it down to the front desk and let them know their last guest had not completely checked out just yet. heeheh.. not sure why the underwear reminded me of finding the toenail - but there ya have it.

love ya,
cookie (ha)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I am leaving for a retreat in a couple of weeks and will be sure to check the drawers 1st. ugh,think I will take my own sheets too, that toenail story was enlightening as well.LOL

Shadow said...

'not tempted' wonderful feeling that change in oneself, ain't it!

i remember once after i stopped drinking i misplaced my car keys. and i immediately started panicking and shaking, 'cause i used to loose/misplace things all the time. i had to remind myself that i was sober, had been for a while, and it's normal to misplace things.... the mind is a funny thing...

Michael said...

Hi Kathy,
Who set Mickey on me, what did I do to desrve it.
Sounds great, you know I have always fancied the idea of spending a week at a monastery

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Haunted by Jim Beam after a weekend immersed in the 11th step. I'll have to meditate on that one. Good for you for slamming that door. That kind of completely unexpected availability is scary.
You're tagged, by the way. Ha!

Syd said...

Be sure to check the sheets in any hotel where you stay. I got bed bugs on a recent trip to MD. I might prefer them to toenails and dirty underwear. I try not to look in drawers at hotels.

Jenn said...

The dirty underwear and toenail make me want to barf! I probably would have thought the JB was a sign that it was okay for me to drink. See, that's why I suck at this sobriety stuff. :o)