Thursday, March 27, 2008

Opportunities

I have an opportunity tonight to go greet some soldiers who will stop at a local air base to refuel before either leaving for Iraq or coming home. They have either already left their families or haven't reached them yet. The plane lands at 11:20 pm and departs at 12:50 am. This is something I never could have done when drinking. And while it is late for me, between an afternoon nap and some coffee I should be able to handle it. Hard to whine about sleep when these men and women are sacrificing so much. I can't remember if I wrote about this before. I had had an opportunity to do this last month and the woman I was supposed to go with left without me because I was a few minutes late. Imagine that! Apparently she was anxious to get there. Anyway, I told my ride this time I would go if she promised not to leave without me!! Does that mean I still have a resentment?? LOL!

I am very much looking forward to this. Its a nonpartisan, nonpolitical way to show the troops that no matter what we care. And its an example of how I am getting outside of myself. This morning we were talking about loss. We have all experienced so much loss. I have been dealing with the loss of my father recently even though it occurred 10 years ago. But the biggest and best loss is what this program is all about. Its the loss of self. And once we are able to lose our self we are able to connect with our spirit. And our spirit is what carries us.

2 comments:

Kathy Lynne said...

Shit! Just got an email that the flight is delayed until 1:50 am. I won't be able to work. Maybe next time or maybe I miss work. Always looking for an excuse:)

Judith said...

Bummer. But this is a great idea. I hope you can do it next time.