Friday, March 14, 2008

Annonymous

Anonymous said...
It's one thing to expose yourself on a blog, but to talk about someone else, the "sick and suffereing alcoholic" you discuss here, and what happened at an AA meeting and take her inventory and put her down, as if you, who was given an unmerited gift, is somehow now a notch above her now, is just not right. It is gossip. She has as much right as anyone to go to an AA meeting and feel safe, not to be exposed on a public board and as much as you believe it is private, it is not. It happens too often in the rooms of AA now also, people telling other people's stories who aren't even sitting in the room, and now here on the internet for all to see. If she ever gets sober, let her tell her own story herself. Talk to your sponsor in private if you need to discuss someone.


This is a comment someone made just recently to a post I had last month about a 12th step experience I had which by the way did not occur IN a meeting but outside the meeting. Kind of felt like a punch in the gut. I think that very well have been the intent. In rereading my post and in the reality of the experience, I in no way felt I was "taking her inventory" or "putting her down" or in any way feel a "notch above her". I have no illusions that I am exactly like her. And not only that she is my friend and I care very much for her. I am invested in her recovery as I am invested in mine. Her story is part of my story and that's why I wrote about it. It was something that had affected me deeply. We are getting sober together. But the point is well taken that this blog is a public forum not my private journal. I have thought of my blog as my journal and have been warned to be careful of my boundries. I think that's part of why I haven't been blogging so much lately. Not exactly sure where those boundries are.

Anyway, I think the comment may be more of a reflection on "annonymous" than anything else. And I may stop allowing annonymous comments. Not that I get many. I just don't like the feeling of not being able to respond directly and not knowing where its coming from. Not nice and nice matters. I'm all for being right sized but there is a way to do it. This comment just reminded me of those negative folks who sit around in meetings and talk about the newcomers like they are pigeons who shit all over them. But maybe I am way off base. That's why I am posting this here. I'd like to hear what you think.

6 comments:

Syd said...

I think that anonymity is important so I do my best not to divulge anyone's name or get too specific about their story. I try to focus on what I am feeling. I think that you do that also. I am a person working on recovery. Examples help. Keep doing what you're doing.

Shadow said...

anonymity is everyone's right, and i don't think you mentioned names or posted pictures. i think you posted the story as 'something to learn from' which i don't think is wrong.

i also don't think anonymous comments are right, since you have no idea where or who they come from, nor whether they practice what they preach. which you could do if you followed back to someones blog who does have one. you get a feel for that person, what they are and what they stand for.

and that's my opinion of both anonymous'...

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

you are not at fault. the 'mud slinger' is.

Does 'Anonymous' sound 'happy joyous and free?' ?
Hmm..
Because if they are NOT, you have to conclude that there is a STRONG possibilty that they are not in 'fit spiritual condition'.
Why?
Because their degree of resistance is a good measure of the extent to which they are 'making a problem out of things.'

Do you want to FEEL and REACT TO LIFE the way 'Anonymous' does? ?

Do you ASPIRE to leave comments of a similar nature and content to the comment that 'Anonymous' posted on your blog?

Do you think you would feel good about yourself and your life if you did?
Does Anonymous inspire you to such an extent that you want to BE JUST LIKE THEM??
or
just MORE like them?

In other words,
Has 'Anonymous' 'Got what YOU (!!!!!!) want?'

If the answer is YES, then follow their example.
If the answer is NO, then do NOT follow their example.

This is how you decide who the 'winners' are. And how you actually PRACTICE 'stick with the winners'.

Or as Bono puts it in 'Acrobat'
"Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see
If you just close your eyes
You can feel the enemy "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6kpH-ZUgJk

"You can throw it up
Or choke on it
And you can dream
So dream out loud
You know that your time is coming 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down"

right better be off. have a nice friday!

I keep meaning to do an anonymity post. Will have to do it someday..

PS did you try listening to any of those talks? i LOVE them! gotta go!

Shadow said...

...nothing like new experiences (church). who knows, they may just appreciate it.

on saturday i read ann's post and she said that some of the things she mentioned had become too personal and too public and she was thinking of deleting it. today it's gone. i guess she did... hope she's okay though!

anyway, happy easter planning. i still gotta get to the shops too before all them eggs are gone!

johno said...

I try not to make it obvious, although as a couple of friends blog or read blogs its kinda is.

I try and keep resentments out of the way, personal resentments usually pass... problem is in me etc...

I try and blog to be of help, rather than gossip or preach or empty my head...

But just like you I am not perfect and I do get it wrong at times... I suppose. I upset a blogger once, yeh once... I cant beleive its only once... see most people sre forgiving. The guy I upset told me so and why and asked me not to blog again on his blog... so I didnt, until he stopped by mine once, it seems I have now been forgiven...

Anyway, blog for you, and for me, and the still suffering, sharing your experience strength and hope.

This too shall pass, we all blog at times on a way where WE THINK ITS TOO PERSONAL maybe it is, but whatever, delete it if you want. I have before.

Importantly, if you are still stressing about it in a few days, perhaps go edit the post or delete it.

In the meantime pray for those you have resentments for, wish them everything you have and everything you could wish for. Pray for patience, and tolerence.

And turn your thoughts to something more useful TODAY.

thanks for your comment on mine about listening, very useful :)

Michael said...

I have made loads of mistakes in my blogging career but I guess making mistakes is a learning curve, That is why I cahange all the names of all my characters so they cant be identified.
I suppose its difficult to know where to draw the line but I reckon if only someone at my meeting knows who I am refering to then Im not breaking anonyminity I mean someone outside doesnt know who the people are do they.
Still I have got into quite a bit of trouble in the past but I carry on regardless.
they dont build statues for critics but on the same note statues just get sh*t on