Friday, February 1, 2008

Resentment

Okay, tell me what I should be doing. The other night I was told of this amazing opportunity to become a "greeter". We have a local air force base that is often a refueling stop for troops arriving home or leaving. As a greeter, we welcome them or send them off. Let them know they have our support and love. Since it is a refueling stop their families are not there. Anyway, an aquaintance of mine, can't quite call her friend, told me about this and I agreed to go. Great opportunity to support our troops. I was to meet at her house at 6:50. We needed to arrive at the base by 7:40. It takes about a half hour. I was 10 minutes late. Rang her bell no answer. I did not have her phone number so called another friend and called her cell. No answer. I tried for about 15 minutes worried that she could have overslept on her nap, she has been ill and said she was taking a nap prior. When I arrived home I had a message from her that she just couldn't wait. She was worried about adhering to military time. By that time it was definately too late for me to head up by myself. Unfortunately she did not have my cell so perhaps we could have avoided the miscommunication. Anyway, since she wasn't answering her cell, I sent her an email apologizing for being late, we apparently missed each other by 5 minutes.

When she returned she replied to my email, just saying she'd know better next time, that time had not been such an issue as she thought and she had her times wrong. Never really apologized to me for the inconvenience. We saw each other again at our book group last night and she shared with the group what the experience had been like. She had invited all of us but I was the only one who had accepted. I shared why I had not participated, that I had been late, that she had not waited, that I had been worried that she was ill. I don't feel she properly acknowledged or apologized. In fact I feel slighted. In fact, I'm kind of pissed. 5 f*cking minutes??? I do take responsibility. But I guess I feel like she didn't. I just think it was extremely rude. Then she said it was a great marketing moment. (She's a salesperson). I thought that sucked and defeated the purpose. I really perhaps just have a problem with this woman.

Anyway, I'm over it. At least she shared the web address of the group and I will arrange my own expedition with my other book group. Perhaps I am just not close enough to these women to share this experience. My other girlfriends would appreciate it more and I believe be more sincere in their efforts. And definately would not leave me in the dust if I was a few minutes late. Okay, I feel much better now. Thanks.

5 comments:

Pammie said...

I say we make our amends and let the chips fall where they may. You did your part. How she handles her part is her own business. YOU however, making the decision to do the "greeter thing" with different people..is EXCELLENT.
You decidced what your part was in the miscommunication. You made your amends. Now you are taking action. EXCELLENT.

johno said...

Pray for her, pray for patience, pity and tolerence, cos she is a sick (imperfect) woman (like you) just trying to do the right thing, like you :) the best she can.

Great service though, go for it, we dont have to like everyone, find where you fit and go for it! Then there will be two groups greeting.

Reminds me of how a resentment can split a meeting in two, someone gets a resentment, leaves and sets up another meeting, both meetings flourish... both carry the message, both original resentment holders stay sober and carry the message.

enjoy your service

Gledwood said...

Hi Kathy Lynne... what on EARTH does that unusual title of your blog mean?

Do tell ...!

Also please come by my main vol 2 blog... I need some help/advice if you can give it

don't worry if you can't

meanwhile have some love:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

it's a tag so pass on as many hearts as you can!

take it easy

g
xx

Shadow said...

you did your part, leave her to hers now. nothing else to do, is there.

molly said...

oh lord girl - i'm wayyyy to early to be offering much SANE advice on this sort of thing.... the saying "pray for the bastard (or biotch in this case)" comes to mind... you doing good and i SO appreciate your comments on my blog.. means a lot to me sista.