Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'm Still Here:)


I haven't been around basically because I unfortunately slipped down my staircase this weekend and bruised my tailbone so it was very painful to sit at my computer for any length particularly since I must at work. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with y'all through the weekend. I am fine and getting better as long as I remember my advil and use my heating pad. The good news is that the fall was not caused by the fact that I was drunk. I just simply slipped. I don't have carpet on my stairs so no padding. My charming husband said that perhaps we would have to move to single floor living as I must be getting too old to handle stairs. Give that man a kick in the arse for me will you? I can't quite lift my leg:)

Speaking of stairs, I did my fifth step yesterday with my sponser and I can testify to those of you who are struggling or new that the answer is in the steps. How and when you do them is individual or should I say, a collaboration between you, your sponser and God and of course what is outlined in the Big Book, but the point is, if you want to not only get sober, but stay sober and live a sober life, you must take the steps. And what you hear and what you read about them is true. I was able to have a deeper connection with my Higher Power when I took that hour once my sponser and I were through. I was exhausted but clear. And this morning and even last night, dare I say I felt happy? I've tried to be positive throughout my 8 months because I believe in the power of postive thinking but I don't think that happy was a part of the equation. I think it is possible now. I just feel very blessed. So I know I still have a long way to go but I like where I am today. Last night I went to a step meeting and they were on the fourth step. Having just done my fifth I read it with new meaning and clarity. It felt as though I had written it. I had read it before several times in different groups and it kind of filled me with anxiety....and I'm not sure I understood it. Last night not only understood it, I felt it.

I also had an experience with 12 stepping this week, though I didn't really know it at the time. She is a sick and suffering alcoholic who has been coming to meetings as long as I have but the most she has been able to string together is 37 days. She has been getting progressively worse the last few weeks. We talk on the phone and while she believes she is powerless, her life is unmanageable and in a higher power, she does not believe that she (because she is oh so special) can be restored to sanity. The other morning she came to the meeting drunk as she has for the last few times. She had decided she needed detox. Then she got sick as in blew chunks. She had downed a part of a bottle of Nyquil so that she could pull herself together to make the meeting. I took her from the meeting while she did so and another woman came to join me in talking to her. Thank God. I did not understand that what we were doing was 12 stepping and she was upset that this other woman joined us but I was grateful and she explained that we do not 12 step alone. I had no clue that's what I was doing, I was just reaching out. I won't go into detail about our conversation but it was brutal and painful. She cannot see her way out right now and is very resentful of our "what's good about today" group because of the gratitude expressed there. She is stuck in the bitter morass of self pity. We prayed with her. She got hugs but she took off instead of allowing us to drive her home. I had to really let go. That's hard. I called my sponser because I of course was ready to go beyond what she needs or is ready for at this point so my sponser helped me to make my boundry. She did get home safely. But hopefully she gets herself into detox. She may end up in jail as well as she is on probation and blew a positive on her drug test. But she has continued to come to meetings so that's something. So thanks for listening and please add her to your prayers. She needs it as does her little boy.

11 comments:

Syd said...

Sorry about your fall. But glad that you are mending. Your description of the drunk at the meeting is hard to read. It brings up a lot of anxiety. Thankfully you were there.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Dear dear. thats a sad story. good for you for trying t help, and being mindful of where to draw the line to avoid becoming over responsible.

congrats on the 5th!!! whoooo hooo!
and VERY ! sorry abot your tailbone and the fall. Ouch!!!!
Poor thing. REST! Hope it settles down soon.
Yo know LOTS have mishaps in the first year. why? because its no longer 'life and death' so they feel they can 'relax' a little. sometimes they get careless. I think ? I lost stuff quite a bit in the beginning. its like you feel 'safe' for the first time ever, so you feel you can let your guard down or something. whatever. lots have mistakes like that, so you are in good company with the mishaps!
Thanks for keeping us posted and get well soon!

Shadow said...

heal quickly from your fall. i remember hubby also fell down the stairs once and scratched his thigh open and now there's a scar that looks like he had some kind of operation...

i feel for you and that other woman. so so frustrating when you want to help and just can't. clearly she's not ready. i hope she will get there too...

Pammie said...

oooo I'm sorry darlin' that you've injured yourself. Tailbone bruising is PAINFUL!
Bless your heart.
That woman...was lucky you were there.

Jenn said...

Thank goodness you were not more hurt by your fall. I hope you are fully recovered soon.

You are doing so well in your sobriety. You go girl!

molly said...

u poor thing!!! you take care.

i have to AGREE about the steps.. changes everything.. quite amazing how it works.

love ya

johno said...

Way hay!!! yeh i thought reading the step made sense, when I wasnt on it. During it, I knew it made sense, after it, I felt it inside become part of me, revisiting and using it... it becomes very real. Congrats to you and prayers for the lady.

You should not be offended if he wants to call it off, for he has helped you more than you have helped him. If your talk has been sane, quiet and full of human understanding, you have perhaps made a friend. Maybe you have disturbed him about the question of alcoholism. This is all to the good. The more hopeless he feels, the better. he will be more likely to follow your suggestions.p94

Many times, I have done all I can for someone, either because its all I can give, she wasnt willing, listening. Could go on... I am just a part of this great fellowship. Its about holding our hand out...anyway... let the hand of AA always be there. Its not in our control what happens next.

If she dont like your group but wants it, she'll find another

johno said...

ps. take care of your butt

Judith said...

Ugh, so sorry about your fall. I've been eyeing my new staircases with an unease because they are wood without carpet also. I keep thanking god I am no longer drinking because I keep imagining the horrific spills down them I could be making if I were still drinking. As it is, I'm wondering when I am going to bruise my tailbone.

I hope yours heals soon.

As for your friend who can't seem to get it together, I hope she finds the courage to surrender. She should lay off the Nyquil, though. It has tylenol in it, which in high doses in combination with alcohol could shut down her liver FAST.

Uh, not that I almost had an incident once. Er. Nope.

Anonymous said...

It's one thing to expose yourself on a blog, but to talk about someone else, the "sick and suffereing alcoholic" you discuss here, and what happened at an AA meeting and take her inventory and put her down, as if you, who was given an unmerited gift, is somehow now a notch above her now, is just not right. It is gossip. She has as much right as anyone to go to an AA meeting and feel safe, not to be exposed on a public board and as much as you believe it is private, it is not. It happens too often in the rooms of AA now also, people telling other people's stories who aren't even sitting in the room, and now here on the internet for all to see. If she ever gets sober, let her tell her own story herself. Talk to your sponsor in private if you need to discuss someone.

Kathy Lynne said...

Since you choose to be annonymous its hard to respond to you however I will. And I guess I will have to do so here as you gave me no other option to reply. I am new at this and still learning. Her story is part of my story because she is helping me to stay sober. I'm not sure where you are reading that I think I am a notch above her or putting her down in anyway. That may be something you want to look at for yourself. I used terms that she has used to describe herself so no judgement placed on my part of that I am clear. She is my friend and I care deeply for her. She is exactly the same as me an alcoholic. And she is recovering and I have faith that she will continue to do so. Her part of the story is told in very general details but your point is taken that this is a public forum. However her story intersected with mine and what occurred with her occurred outside of the meeting. And since you apparently only read what you wanted to....you may want to read again. I did talk to my sponser. I always do.