Friday, February 15, 2008

Pain is Nobody's Fault

I know, I know, I'm full of prayers lately...just seems to be where my head is at. This was a prayer that was part of the retreat I attended in January...it has clicked with me and I finally emailed the retreat director who sent me a copy today. I share with you.....

We cannot merely pray to You, O God,
to end war;
For we know that You have made the world in a way
That humans must find their own path to peace
Within themselves and with their neighbors.

We cannot merely pray to You, O God,
to end starvation;
For You have already given us the resources
With which to feed the entire world
If we would only use them wisely.


We cannot merely pray to You, O God,
to root out prejudice,
For You have already given us eyes
With which to see the good in all people
If we would only use them rightly.

We cannot merely pray to You, O God,
to end despair,
For You have already given us the power
To clear away slums and to give hope
If we would only use our power justly.

We cannot merely pray to you, O God,
to end disease,
For You have already given us the great minds with which
To search out cures and healing,
If we would use them constructively.

Therefore we pray to You instead, O God, For strength, determination, and your will,
To do instead of just to pray,
To become instead of merely to wish.

1 comment:

Shadow said...

i wish i could imprint this prayer into all the people in this country... make that the world!