Sunday, February 10, 2008

Don't Drink, Ask for Help, Go to Meetings

It's not just that is it? I mean, its a start and I understand for many people that is all they can do for awhile. And as my sponser tells me if you stayed sober today you're doing good. But its the program of Alcoholics Annonymous that gets you to sobriety and a sober life. I talked to my sponser about that because I have been struggling with this for awhile. I had to do more than that to stay sober so far....being Secretary of a meeting, going on committments, working the steps with a sponser, reading the Big Book, 12 x12 & Came to Believe, Joe and Charlie, connection with my Higher Power through prayer, reaching out to other alcoholics, LISTENING, journaling (well, blogging), and more. I'm a work in progress but I have had to do all of these things to some extent to stay sober. I don't think if I were just doing half measures I'd be sober. And isn't the three things above just half of the program. You find the program through them but you do have to find it and then work it. There has been some people in my meetings who are relapsing or struggling. They don't understand why because they are not drinking, asking for help, and going to meetings. Do they have a sponser? No. Are they working the steps? No. Are they of service? No. Have they prayed? Maybe.

I'm trying to watch my ego here and I'm trying to stay open minded but its tough sometimes when you just want to shake someone and say, IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT.

4 comments:

Pammie said...

I think you can stay sober just going to meetings, but who wants that?
I wanted (and still do) all the benefits of RECOVERY. A new walk in life, some peace in my heart. Some serenity in my life. Sober is good.....Recovery from a hopeless state of mind and body is GREAT.

Shadow said...

and what a beautiful work of art in the making you are.

i also was amazed to discover that to stop drinking is actually a small part in the process. and it's the rest of it that actually keeps you sober and prevents relapse.

Fireman John said...

i admire your commitment and desire to follow all the prescribed aspects.
what you will find, is that regardless of having all the aa ducks in a row,people will relapse at an alarming rate.
the reason is that just following the 12 step method, without behavior modification has only a 5% success rate. those who do recover are the ones who take control of their lives, and become responsible to recognize and change the mental processes that lead to a drink.
remember the whole slogan;
"it works if you work it; IF you are one of the 5% it works for"

Syd said...

I like the Joe and Charlie tapes. Even though I'm not an alcoholic, I get a lot from the Big Book.