Thursday, January 31, 2008

Acceptance

A very small amazing thing happened yesterday. My husbands truck, yes the one I was swearing at just the other day, needs work. Something sliced the transmission line and it needs repaired among a few other things. Not cheap. The mechanic said it looked like the truck had run over something or bottomed out. Of course my husband spent most of his day trying to figure out how it happened (read: who to blame). None of us remember any significant event that could have caused it. Who knows? It's winter in New England. Then he starts wondering how we were going to pay for it, etc, etc. Now this is the kind of stuff that usually sends me over the edge. Total stress. Anger. Resentment. Anxiety. Panic. The amazing thing, acceptance. Whatever happened, it happened. We need the truck, we have to pay to fix it. We will figure it out. Charge it if we have to. I told him this and he looked at me and said, "What is wrong with you!?" I told him I could not change anything that happened. So, whatever. It will work out. It will unfold. Then guess what happens this morning. We had sold my mother's car to a member of my morning group. Didn't cash the check because we hadn't been counting on the money for anything, the car had just been sitting in the driveway and he asked if we could hold it for awhile. Today he showed up with a money order for $800. That will cover about a third, but you see? It will work out. The world will not end. I will not drink.

6 comments:

Judith said...

Isn't it great when you figure out that drinking doesn't need to be a part of the equation?

Syd said...

Glad that you took it so well and could just Let Go. It all will work out.

molly said...

very cool stuff!

Pammie said...

Fabulous...sticking around to see the miracles start happening...THAT'S WHAY I'M SAYIN'

Shadow said...

oh my, but you're coping so well! good... and good luck!

Michael said...

That must be your higher power at work giving you the money, it shows that the AA way does more than just stop you drinking its a whole new life in it?
Have a good weekend and see you on monday